Hardware Found...Sony DRU-800A...when booting..then CD-ROM

Having installed a Sony DRU-800A DVD RW drive, Windows ( XP Pro ) , when
booting up says " New hardware found, trying to install ". The drive shows on
device manager as "Sony dvd-rw 800a" for approx 10 seconds and then changes
to CD-Rom, the install wizard says error unable to install device, file not
specified but
I am able to see the drive in "my computer",( as CD ROM) and I can read and
burn to disc's.
According to Sony this drive doesn't need a driver with XP.
I have stopped all startup programs and services but still occurs.
Uninstalled and installed loads of times but makes no difference..help

What interface does it use ?, PATA or SATA. Is the device on an
IDE channel (Primary/Secondary) that has another device on the
same cable ? I know this sounds funny, but does the drive have any
disk loaded in it's tray & spinning ? If ATAPI/IDE is the controller
in Device Manager set for Auto Detect on it's Master/Slave Device
type field (Advanced Option).
Sorry for the litany of questions, but enumerating a Optical device
should be pretty simple.

"Reedy" <Reedy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having installed a Sony DRU-800A DVD RW drive, Windows ( XP Pro ) , when
> booting up says " New hardware found, trying to install ". The drive shows
> on
> device manager as "Sony dvd-rw 800a" for approx 10 seconds and then
> changes
> to CD-Rom, the install wizard says error unable to install device, file
> not
> specified but
> I am able to see the drive in "my computer",( as CD ROM) and I can read
> and
> burn to disc's.
> According to Sony this drive doesn't need a driver with XP.
> I have stopped all startup programs and services but still occurs.
> Uninstalled and installed loads of times but makes no difference..help

TRENDING THREADS