Help seeker is back!

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Dear all;

First, thanks you all for your help so far.
If you haven't followed the story, I am developing as part of my MSc
dissertation as computer-based defensive Mah-Jong player.

I have now finished (at last) an applet letting kind helpers generate
this precious data I need to develop my program.
You can access it here:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0343918/mj

There are explainations on this page and a link to the applet.
It is easy to go and spend a few minutes and then stop. And you can also
come back anytime ;-)

I will use the data by the end of the week, so if you feel like helping
out, it is best to do it as soon as you can.

Please email me (N.Toussaint@sms.ed.ac.uk) or post a message if you have
any question/comment...

Thanks!

Nico

Jesper Harder wrote:

> The applet doesn't work in any of the browsers available on my
> system, viz.
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030703
> Mozilla/4.78 (X11; Linux i686; U) Opera 7.23 [en]
> Netscape 4.78

Argh! Why does nothing ever work as they should?
This is rather strange, as I have tested it on:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040424
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
And even Internet Explorer...

Could you tell me what sort of error you get please?

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

The first time the applet came up, all the tiles were blank (face-down). I
skipped that, and another one came up, with proper tile faces.
As I tried to determine which tiles were safe or dangerous, I ran into a
problem.
I don't know which rules are being used!
Is this Chinese Classical, Chinese Official, Hong Kong Old Style, Japanese,
Taiwanese, New Style, Western (British/Australian)...?
Can't determine which tiles are best without knowing the rules.
Tom

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Another question. After the first problem with tile faces, I went through
and selected the safe/dangerous tiles (on general principles alone).
Then I didn't know what button to click!
My only choices were "Start," "Skip," and "Quit."
I'd already started but that seemed like the only choice. After clicking it,
it changed to "Done" and a new problem was presented.
Would be more intuitive if the first startup presented a faces-up problem,
and the button says "Done" - there's no need for a "Start" really.
Tom

"Nicolas Toussaint" <s0343918@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Dear all;
>
> First, thanks you all for your help so far.
> If you haven't followed the story, I am developing as part of my MSc
> dissertation as computer-based defensive Mah-Jong player.
>
> I have now finished (at last) an applet letting kind helpers generate
> this precious data I need to develop my program.
> You can access it here:
> http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0343918/mj
>
> There are explainations on this page and a link to the applet.
> It is easy to go and spend a few minutes and then stop. And you can also
> come back anytime ;-)
>
> I will use the data by the end of the week, so if you feel like helping
> out, it is best to do it as soon as you can.
>
> Please email me (N.Toussaint@sms.ed.ac.uk) or post a message if you have
> any question/comment...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nico

Hello Nico,

I tried playing with your applet and the following are my comments:

1. On your intro page I have difficulty understanding your exact meaning and
I am not sure if my understanding is correct. On your intro page you wrote:

"The applet shows you all the discards and melds a player has made up to a
given point of a mah jong game. Your mission, if you accept it, it to guess
which tiles the player might be waiting for, and which ones would be safe
discards with respect to this player.

The Mah-Jong program will use this data to guess which tiles each player
is/isn't waiting for, so as to discard the least dangerous tile. However,
this is only one part of the program, as it also relies on other criteria,
such as which tiles have been exposed so far."

I am not quite sure what is my (the one writing this message) position in
your applet game...

(a) Am I the one holding the melds? If so, are you asking me to pick only
one from the melds to discard and determine it with a rating (of five)? OR,
are you asking me to rate ALL pieces in the melds? Further, do I rate the
piece(s) based on the pieces already discarded (see also last paragraph of
this message)?

(b) Does the "player" of your applet game hold those melds? If so, what
exactly should I (the one writing this message) do? How do I pick a piece to
discard? Where do I pick from?

2. I started from the intro page to the applet without problem (I'm using
Windows 98, IE 6.0.2800.1106). Minor problem is sometimes my cursor is
disappeared.

3. On a sample page, underneath the "Melds" pieces, you ask "Which tiles
would be Very Safe,...?" If you could give more precise instructions would
be better (see 1 above). Example is: "You hold this hand. Which piece would
you discard? How do you rate it: Very Safe, ..., or Very Dangerous?"

4. Also underneath the "Melds" is another section that one can pick those
pieces of an entire mahjong set. Don't understand what to do with this. Lack
of instructions.

I noted that you have specified your program to be based on the Chinese
Classical. I still want to try it if the above are clear.

Other than the issues as outlined above, I am not sure what good your Neural
Networks would learn from the inputs. The discards are based on the hand one
is holding - Whether a discard is safe or dangerous largely depend on
whether it will be captured by others. Anyway, this is just my thought.

Hope this to be of help!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

> I don't know which rules are being used!
The targetted rule are Chinese classical, as stated on the web page. You
can also consider the player to sit on your right, so that your discards
can be used to chow too.

> Another question. After the first problem with tile faces, I went through
OK, this is changed, when you start, an example arrives direeclty.
Initially, you had to click 'Start' to start

> and selected the safe/dangerous tiles (on general principles alone).
> Then I didn't know what button to click!
Hum, thew button 'Start' should have chaged to 'Done' before...
This is changed and should work fine

Thank you very much for your help!

Nico

PS: My browser (Mozilla) seems to keep the applet in its cache if I
don't delete the cache altogether... if the applet you get hasn't
changed, that might be a reason

Jesper Harder wrote:

> The applet never starts properly -- the error messages are:
>
> Mozilla: "Start: applet not initialized."
> Opera: "Applet crashed."

Someone else told me it doesn't work for him- but it seems to work for
other people, including me.
It breaks my heart to waste potential help, but there's not much I can
do, as I can't test myself!
I'll try to sort something out though, and will let you know-

Nico

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Hello Cofa,

First, this is great help and thanks for taking the time to do this.
I'm sorry if the explainations are not clear.

First, the applet is not really a game. Rather, it shows snapshots of a
game.
To make it easier, think you are playing a real Mah-Jong game.
The melds displayed then belong to the player on your right. The
discards are all the discards he has done from the start of the deal.

Now it is your time to discard a tile, and you need to know which tiles
are the other players waiting for (dangerous discards), and which ones
are safe to discard.
This is this exact situation your are in when using the applet, but you
need only consider the player on your right (whose melds and discards
are shown), although my final Mah-Jong player will consider all players.

So the question is: In this situation, if I was to discard, say, a
'North Wind' tile, what are the chances that the player on my rght will
use it?
If you can deduce from his/her discards and melds that it is very safe,
you can rate it so. Otherwise, it might look like s/he could well use
this tile, and in this case, the tile NW could be rated as 'Dangerous'.

For most of the tiles, you probably won't be able to tell, but you
probably will for other tiles.

As an example, say the player on your right has just discarded a 8
Circle, and has a Pung of 7 Circle . Then you might deduce that
discarding a 8 Circle is 'very safe', and discarding a 9 circle is 'safe'.

What I try to capture is the 'intuition' experienced players have when
seeing a snap shot of a game like this. I wouldn't know what to discard
myself, as I only know the basics of the game.

I hope this is clearer for you now, please tell me if not

Thank you very much for your help,

Nico

> Hello Nico,
>
> I tried playing with your applet and the following are my comments:
>
> 1. On your intro page I have difficulty understanding your exact meaning and
> I am not sure if my understanding is correct. On your intro page you wrote:
>
> "The applet shows you all the discards and melds a player has made up to a
> given point of a mah jong game. Your mission, if you accept it, it to guess
> which tiles the player might be waiting for, and which ones would be safe
> discards with respect to this player.
>
> The Mah-Jong program will use this data to guess which tiles each player
> is/isn't waiting for, so as to discard the least dangerous tile. However,
> this is only one part of the program, as it also relies on other criteria,
> such as which tiles have been exposed so far."
>
> I am not quite sure what is my (the one writing this message) position in
> your applet game...
>
> (a) Am I the one holding the melds? If so, are you asking me to pick only
> one from the melds to discard and determine it with a rating (of five)? OR,
> are you asking me to rate ALL pieces in the melds? Further, do I rate the
> piece(s) based on the pieces already discarded (see also last paragraph of
> this message)?
>
> (b) Does the "player" of your applet game hold those melds? If so, what
> exactly should I (the one writing this message) do? How do I pick a piece to
> discard? Where do I pick from?
>
> 2. I started from the intro page to the applet without problem (I'm using
> Windows 98, IE 6.0.2800.1106). Minor problem is sometimes my cursor is
> disappeared.
>
> 3. On a sample page, underneath the "Melds" pieces, you ask "Which tiles
> would be Very Safe,...?" If you could give more precise instructions would
> be better (see 1 above). Example is: "You hold this hand. Which piece would
> you discard? How do you rate it: Very Safe, ..., or Very Dangerous?"
>
> 4. Also underneath the "Melds" is another section that one can pick those
> pieces of an entire mahjong set. Don't understand what to do with this. Lack
> of instructions.
>
> I noted that you have specified your program to be based on the Chinese
> Classical. I still want to try it if the above are clear.
>
> Other than the issues as outlined above, I am not sure what good your Neural
> Networks would learn from the inputs. The discards are based on the hand one
> is holding - Whether a discard is safe or dangerous largely depend on
> whether it will be captured by others. Anyway, this is just my thought.
>
> Hope this to be of help!
>
> Cofa Tsui
> www.iMahjong.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

It's working much better now. I recently switched to Mozilla Firefox and it
works fine for me.
Tom

> Hello Cofa,
>
> First, this is great help and thanks for taking the time to do this.
> I'm sorry if the explainations are not clear.
>
> First, the applet is not really a game. Rather, it shows snapshots of a
> game.
> To make it easier, think you are playing a real Mah-Jong game.
> The melds displayed then belong to the player on your right. The
> discards are all the discards he has done from the start of the deal.

This is now a clear picture that I can understand!

> Now it is your time to discard a tile, and you need to know which tiles
> are the other players waiting for (dangerous discards), and which ones
> are safe to discard.
> This is this exact situation your are in when using the applet, but you
> need only consider the player on your right (whose melds and discards
> are shown), although my final Mah-Jong player will consider all players.

I'll try the applet again. But rating all available pieces for every example
could be a big job ^_^

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Dee

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Nicolas Toussaint <s0343918@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cd0k70$io2$1@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>...
> I have now finished (at last) an applet letting kind helpers generate
> this precious data I need to develop my program.
> You can access it here:
> http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0343918/mj

I just tried it and when I clicked on the "Start" from the above web
page, it caused ALL my browser windows to close and exit. I am using
Win/XP-Professional, IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2...