Dell dimension e520 stuck on post screen won't boot

gingerbenn187

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello,
I've got a Dell dimension e520 that has been working fine for years and all of sudden it won't boot to windows. It basically gets stuck on the post screen after the dell splash.

I can get into the setup/bios and everything is as it should be, I started up via vista install CD and done system repairs and everything checks out ok. I've reseated ram and taken out the mobo battery and put back in again.

But still the machine gets stuck on the post screen and does't load into windows.

Any ideas anyone, I also don't get any beeping or lights on front of box either.

ShadeTreeTech

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Sounds like a failing/failed HDD. Best way to test for a bad drive is to remove the HDD, connect it to another working computer, use a free HDD tester/scanner program like MHDD or SeaTools for Windows (Seagate's scanner w/ the "Long - Generic" test is pretty good). If you can download the OEM HDD test for your brand of HDD, that's the best way to test it, but most all scanners test HDDs the same way and are not brand specific. If the drive fails ANY part of the test, or the testing time is still ridiculous after letting the test run for approx 15-30mins (e.g. 80GB HDD test is saying 20+hrs), then the drive is bad or is failing and replace it right away.

You can make a bootable CD with DOS versions of SeaTools for DOS, so you do not have to connect the drive to another computer, but the results do not seem to be as reliable.

Also, some of the boot viruses like Olmarik will make a HDD seem like it is failing. Weird things like never loading windows, black screens, and lockups on startup can be caused by boot viruses. Kapersky's TDSSKiller will check for these rootkit viruses. With the drive connected to another computer, that already has a good antivirus installed, run TDSSKiller and it will check for then eliminate any rootkits on any HDDs currently connected to the computer (there is a reboot to fix the virus if found).

Good Luck!