Xp Professional

July 13, 2005 4:32:03 PM

I purchased a new Dell computer that has XP home on it and I would like to
upgrade it to XP Professional. I just installed XP Professional on My old
Dell less than a month ago. Can I install it on the new computer and take the
old computer back to the windows xp home addition. I don't think that I can
reinstall the XP professional on two computers? Any information on how to go
about this would be helpful.
--
Thank You
Tim Chirpich

More about : professional

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:28:42 PM

In news:C4293647-5E5B-4800-A7D1-C8AE46E868EE@microsoft.com,
Tim Chirpich <TimChirpich@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I purchased a new Dell computer that has XP home on it and I
> would
> like to upgrade it to XP Professional. I just installed XP
> Professional on My old Dell less than a month ago. Can I
> install it
> on the new computer and take the old computer back to the
> windows xp
> home addition.

Assuming that your XP Professional is a retail copy, yes, but to
"take the old computer back" you'll have to do it by reformatting
and reinstalling XP Home cleanly, losing everything on the
computer. There's no way to do a downgrade.

If your XP Professional is an OEM copy, however, its license
restricts it to the first computer it's installed on and it can
never be moved to another.

> I don't think that I can reinstall the XP professional
> on two computers?

That would be a violation of the licensing agreement.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:44:32 PM

You'll have to reformat the old computer's hard drive and reinstall
the original operating system on it. You cannot transfer the Dell
OEM Home Edition to the old computer. Afterward, you may upgrade
your Dell computer to Windows XP Professional, assuming you have
a "Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional.

Also, if your Dell computer came with SP2 installed, and your Windows XP
Professional CD does not have SP2, you'll need to make a new Windows XP
Professional CD with SP2 "slipstreamed" before you can upgrade.

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Tim Chirpich" wrote:

| I purchased a new Dell computer that has XP home on it and I would like to
| upgrade it to XP Professional. I just installed XP Professional on My old
| Dell less than a month ago. Can I install it on the new computer and take the
| old computer back to the windows xp home addition. I don't think that I can
| reinstall the XP professional on two computers? Any information on how to go
| about this would be helpful.
| --
| Thank You
| Tim Chirpich
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:13:07 PM

Tim Chirpich <TimChirpich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I purchased a new Dell computer that has XP home on it and I would like to
>upgrade it to XP Professional. I just installed XP Professional on My old
>Dell less than a month ago. Can I install it on the new computer and take the
>old computer back to the windows xp home addition.

If you remove XP Pro from the older machine, then you can install it
on the newer machine. I don't think there's an easy way to regress
from XP Pro to XP Home. Look for an uninstall option for it in control
Panel|Add/Remove Programs. If you upgraded the older machine from XP
Home to XP Pro, asked for the uninstall files to be made, and haven't
deleted them since then the option may be there. Other than that,
you'll probably have to clear the disk and reinstall the version of XP
Home that came with the computer.

> I don't think that I can reinstall the XP professional on two computers?

Absolutely right. You own a license to install XP Pro on one computer.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)