Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

From: rufus@prodigy.net (rufus)

>I have a chance to buy a genuine ivory set. It looks like it will be
>offered around $2000.00.
>
>Does that sound correct? Is a mah jongg set made of ivory that
>valuable?
>
>Yes, it is genuine. I have seen it.

You've seen it, and you've compared it with the "Is It Ivory" checklist?
(FAQ 7c2.)

There are ivory sets, and there are ivory sets. The size of the tiles, the
quality of the engraving, the type of box, the number, type, and condition
of the accessories are all important.

I can imagine a complete and exquisitely exotic ivory set of full-size
tiles, with all accessories including paper insert(s) in excellent
condition, going for $2K. But if it isn't complete, exotic, exquisite, or
excellent, or has smaller size tiles (or they're backed with bamboo and the
ivory is thin), then it might go for less than $1K (perhaps more than $500,
depending).

I assume you're in the U.S. and that the set is also in the U.S. - it's
illegal to import ivory items.

Good luck! - Tom