schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
I've been reading the article on enclosures for hdd's at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041206/index.html

Im planning on buying a notebook (or hope santa will give me one) and i found out notebooks havent got a very large hd, often only 40-60gb. Therefore i thought i was gonna buy a external-usb hd of around 200gb, but then i read this article. But i dont get what the main advantage is of buying a 'normal' IDE interface hd and a enclosure over buying a regular external hd.

Can someone explain this to me?

pat

Expert
Cost and flexibility. You can buy an inexpensive USB2.0 enclosure with the HDD of the size you want while buying complete external, you'Ll get the same, but a bit more expensive and often, not the size you want.

I've been using enclosure for near 2 years now and like them. I used Bytecc enclosure that are in aluminum and dissipate the heat very well without the need of a fan. Just make sure that the unit has an on/off switch so you can switch it off while not in use. Unless you have a very silent HDD, the noise can become a bit annoying. The best HDD for this kind on enclosure are 5400 rpm one as they are less noisy than 7200 rpm and since the speed is limited to the USB interface, there is no impact on the performance. But they are hard to find for high cap. drive.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't understand? Are you a schmuck?

That's like saying "I don't understand why people build computers when they could just buy one".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Hey crashman thanks man, you really helped me. I appreciate you took the time to answer my question. After all thats why they call this a community. A place were people respect eachother and help eachother when they can, so that people can learn new things.

Im glad that people like people like pat also exist. Although this was perhaps a dumb question for him, he was willing to spend some time on trying to explain it to me.

So next time when you try to insult someone, try to be funny, or try to boost up your ego, reply to someone else crashman...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was doing two things: Trying to be funny and telling you that the question you asked is not beyond your grasp to figure out on your own.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
well obviously it was, otherwise i wouldnt have asked the question here would i.
And next time you try to be funny let other people know you're making a bad joke, or make better jokes so that people actually laugh about them

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That hurts. That really hurts. But I'll take it as constructive criticism and move forward, thanks.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe, he did not want you to call him schmuck, but pusssy instead. So next time you try to be funny, be more straight forward and honnest, like me is ;o)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But calling someone a schmuck based on their nick sounds funnier than calling them a pussy :frown:

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I'm surprised at you Crashman. Having a bad day? Its not like you to flame. You've helped me out many times despite my lack of knowledge and never flamed me for it.

BTW, do we all know what that word means? It is Yiddish for.........a part of male anatomy.

And for you schmuckpussy, if you're going to name yourself that on a forum, you need to suck it up. Darned children.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pavelow on 12/22/04 04:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But, but, but, his NICK, I just couldn't resist (sobs).

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
:wink:

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That had better not be a Michigan life sentence, because I don't know if I have that much time left. But if it's a Florida life sentence, I guess credit for time served means I've already exceeded the sentence!