After opening so many programs, cannot open more

July 13, 2005 5:26:30 PM

I have an intermittent problem on my work PC that has win2kpro sp2. I
open up programs and am going along just fine. Then when I try to open
another program, it will just not open. I get no errors, it is just
like I did not do a thing. The number of programs I have open varies,
before it will decide to not let me open any more. I can close an open
program, and then I can open another program. But I am stuck at the
number of programs already open when this occurs. I have to reboot, in
order to get back to where I can open any number of processes. Then it
will take some varying amount of time, days or hours, and this little
quirk will pop up again.

I have done virus and spyware scans, and my computer is clean. I
re-installed sp2, but still the problem. Does anyone have a clue? It
is a real pain, when I absolutely need multiple programs and documents
open at once and I reach the limit!

Thanks for any help.

More about : opening programs open

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:49:03 PM

Just a quick thought. Have you checked your resources when you are unable to
open anymore programs?? to do so just press ctrl+alt+delete select task
manager on task manager go to the performance tab and see how much free
memory and cpu you have. There is a strong possibility that you may be out
of memory at the times you are unable to open programs and it varies on the
number of programs you have open because different programs use different
amounts of resources. The only fix however if this is the case is to get
more RAM. Also there might be a chance that you can get by, by changing the
amount of virtual memory you have assigned to do so. Right click my computer
> advanced tab > click the change button and give yourself atleast 1024MB of
page file space.... however you may be low on hard drive space and this may
be an option there are many different things to consider so just check 1 at a
time.

Joe
Kemco IT Pro

"alireadnews@earthlink.net" wrote:

> I have an intermittent problem on my work PC that has win2kpro sp2. I
> open up programs and am going along just fine. Then when I try to open
> another program, it will just not open. I get no errors, it is just
> like I did not do a thing. The number of programs I have open varies,
> before it will decide to not let me open any more. I can close an open
> program, and then I can open another program. But I am stuck at the
> number of programs already open when this occurs. I have to reboot, in
> order to get back to where I can open any number of processes. Then it
> will take some varying amount of time, days or hours, and this little
> quirk will pop up again.
>
> I have done virus and spyware scans, and my computer is clean. I
> re-installed sp2, but still the problem. Does anyone have a clue? It
> is a real pain, when I absolutely need multiple programs and documents
> open at once and I reach the limit!
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:33:55 PM

In news:143EA6A4-4A5A-4A74-9F1F-52206BA21CC3@microsoft.com,
Kemco <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Just a quick thought. Have you checked your resources when you
> are
> unable to open anymore programs?? to do so just press
> ctrl+alt+delete select task manager on task manager go to the
> performance tab and see how much free memory and cpu you have.
> There
> is a strong possibility that you may be out of memory at the
> times
> you are unable to open programs and it varies on the number of
> programs you have open because different programs use different
> amounts of resources.

Sorry, but this isn't at all correct. There *normally* is no free
memory, or very little. Wanting to minimize the amount of memory
Windows uses is a counterproductive desire. Windows is designed
to use all, or nearly all, of your memory, all the time, and
that's good not bad. Free memory is wasted memory. You paid for
it all and shouldn't want to see any of it wasted.

Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all
the time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will
use that part for caching, then give it back when your apps later
need it. In this way Windows keeps all your memory working for
you all the time.

> The only fix however if this is the case is to
> get more RAM.

No. Windows is a virtual memory operating system. That means if
it doesn't have enough RAM to do the tasks you tell it to do, it
uses the page file. Having more RAM means that it may have to
page less, and since paging to the hard drive is much slower than
using RAM, more RAM can increase performance. But it's never the
difference between being able to run another app or not, unless
you've foolishly turned off paging or limited the size of page
file.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Also there might be a chance that you can get by, by
> changing the amount of virtual memory you have assigned to do
> so.
> Right click my computer
>> advanced tab > click the change button and give yourself
>> atleast
>> 1024MB of
> page file space.... however you may be low on hard drive space
> and
> this may be an option there are many different things to
> consider so
> just check 1 at a time.
>
> Joe
> Kemco IT Pro
>
> "alireadnews@earthlink.net" wrote:
>
>> I have an intermittent problem on my work PC that has win2kpro
>> sp2.
>> I open up programs and am going along just fine. Then when I
>> try to
>> open another program, it will just not open. I get no errors,
>> it is
>> just
>> like I did not do a thing. The number of programs I have open
>> varies, before it will decide to not let me open any more. I
>> can
>> close an open program, and then I can open another program.
>> But I
>> am stuck at the number of programs already open when this
>> occurs. I
>> have to reboot, in order to get back to where I can open any
>> number
>> of processes. Then it will take some varying amount of time,
>> days
>> or hours, and this little quirk will pop up again.
>>
>> I have done virus and spyware scans, and my computer is clean.
>> re-installed sp2, but still the problem. Does anyone have a
>> clue?
>> It
>> is a real pain, when I absolutely need multiple programs and
>> documents open at once and I reach the limit!
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
July 13, 2005 7:17:53 PM

Here are the specs: Pentium 4 cpu 2.80ghz, 512 mb ram
2000mb paging space

Nope, not opening Access. Usually I have IE, Word, SQL Enterprise
Manager, Paint, Power Point, Excel, AOL or MSN or Yahoo Messengers may
be running - all varying when I get stuck. I checked available and
used memory, and there is no problem there. I have 9gb on c-drive and
35gb on e-drive. This is perplexing, to say the least!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:21:45 PM

I checked available and used memory when this happens, and it all looks
fine. I have 9gb on c-drive and 35gb on e-drive, so plenty of hard
disk. This is a bugger!!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:39:16 PM

Have you considered adding more memory

alireadnews@earthlink.net wrote:
> I have an intermittent problem on my work PC that has win2kpro sp2. I
> open up programs and am going along just fine. Then when I try to open
> another program, it will just not open. I get no errors, it is just
> like I did not do a thing. The number of programs I have open varies,
> before it will decide to not let me open any more. I can close an open
> program, and then I can open another program. But I am stuck at the
> number of programs already open when this occurs. I have to reboot, in
> order to get back to where I can open any number of processes. Then it
> will take some varying amount of time, days or hours, and this little
> quirk will pop up again.
>
> I have done virus and spyware scans, and my computer is clean. I
> re-installed sp2, but still the problem. Does anyone have a clue? It
> is a real pain, when I absolutely need multiple programs and documents
> open at once and I reach the limit!
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:26:57 PM

Try a tool from SysInternals called Process Explorer.

<alireadnews@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I checked available and used memory when this happens, and it all looks
> fine. I have 9gb on c-drive and 35gb on e-drive, so plenty of hard
> disk. This is a bugger!!

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:36:52 AM

Hi

What kind of programs have you got open? If you have a couple of Access
databases open, then they will use up a lot of resources. What are the
specs. of your PC?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

>I have an intermittent problem on my work PC that has win2kpro sp2. I
> open up programs and am going along just fine. Then when I try to open
> another program, it will just not open. I get no errors, it is just
> like I did not do a thing. The number of programs I have open varies,
> before it will decide to not let me open any more. I can close an open
> program, and then I can open another program. But I am stuck at the
> number of programs already open when this occurs. I have to reboot, in
> order to get back to where I can open any number of processes. Then it
> will take some varying amount of time, days or hours, and this little
> quirk will pop up again.
>
> I have done virus and spyware scans, and my computer is clean. I
> re-installed sp2, but still the problem. Does anyone have a clue? It
> is a real pain, when I absolutely need multiple programs and documents
> open at once and I reach the limit!
>
> Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:36:53 AM

Work PC ? Does your office have support staff or a contractor to
handle PC issues ? I noticed you use Win2K Pro. If that's correct
then it is actually at Service Pack 4 Level w/ a recent Rollup . You
should probably have the computer upgraded to a more recent SP.

!