Win 7 Upgrade - Works with Vista MSDN?

htimesh

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hi. I am thinking about getting Win 7 retail upgrade while it is on sale (by price history, it would be as cheap as full version OEM).

The problem is that, my current Vista copy was obtained from college, through its MSDN licensing. The key is for me only, nonetheless, and still valid.

Before I jump the gun, I would like to confirm that, will that Win 7 upgrade work with my MSDN license key? Would it identify my key as a college MSDN key, and refuse to upgrade/clean install? After all, it is an upgrade, so it needs to go from some previous version.

My current assumption is that, I would do a Win 7 clean install, and when it asks for Vista key for verification, I would enter mine from school in.

Note that, my key applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit. In that sense, it is more like a retail key than an OEM key.

Solution
As long as you have a valid license, it doesn't make any difference what type of license it is. For upgrade purposes, that's all that MS cares about.

htimesh

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I placed an order last night. Thanks guys. If any surprise pops up I guess I will always have the option to cancel the order.

And GURIMAILLL, it's a preorder, so I don't think anyone actually resolves it yet.

gurimailll

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Here You go i contacted the microsoft about this:-

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Store Customer Support Team. I appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information on Windows 7.
You are eligible for the upgrade of any edition of Windows 7 if you are running any version/edition of either Windows XP or Windows Vista, regardless of how it was purchased. You may wish to read more in depth about the system requirements here at the link provided below:
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102
If you have any further questions or wish to place an order, you may do so online at www.microsoftstore.com, or reach us by phone Monday - Friday 8am - 1am EST, and Saturday and Sunday 12pm - 8pm EST by calling 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786).
Thank you for using the Microsoft Store,
Noel B.
The Microsoft Store Customer Support Team