24" too big for monitor?

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Monitors
  • Dell
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 19, 2005 4:04:51 AM

I want to get the DEll 2405fpw for home use (my comp is general use only). My wife is giving me some grief...not over the price but because she thinks it is too big. Do any of you have an experience with a 24" monitor and how far you need to sit from it?

More about : big monitor

July 19, 2005 12:27:54 PM

It isn't that big, sit same as a regular monitor, unless you sit 2" away from a reg one.
But you do need a good graphics card, like a 6800 or X800 or better, for best results.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 19, 2005 12:58:12 PM

I keep it the same distance as any other monitor. Otherwise, what's the point? Tell your wife it's supposed to be bigger.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
Related resources
July 19, 2005 1:01:55 PM

Your WIFE think it is too BIG?!?

I think she is just trying to boost your ego, so you do not get worse with your complex, hows therapy going? ;) 

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 19, 2005 5:53:52 PM

Man, you got to make up your mind as to what you want to do.

Do you want to do your computing from the desktop or from the sofa?

If from the desktop, the 24" monitor is too big.

If from the sofa, the 24" is too small.

In either case, you gotta pass on this model.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2005 8:05:07 PM

Best way to look at it is this - 23" & 24" TFTs are basically wide-screen variants of 21" displays (20" WS TFTs are the wide-screen variant of 17" displays). At work there are about 7 2405FPWs, I used one for about 30 min and it seemed about perfect at the back of the desk, I've also heard nothing but good things from the owners.
July 19, 2005 11:18:22 PM

It's not too big.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 23, 2005 6:56:14 PM

Interpretation, your wife told you size doesn't matter, right? ;) 

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2005 4:45:34 PM

yes it can imo, used a 30" Apple display for a few hours, it gave me (and others) neck ache if we used all the screen at a usual viewing distance as you have to move your head to look at all of the screen, however on deeper desks (or in the corner of a 'workstation' desk) it was fine effectively giving a higher resolution than a 23 or 24" display.
July 24, 2005 5:02:10 PM

I will get one when they can hold a lifesize image of my favorite member.

July 25, 2005 6:57:17 PM

As a general rule, a flat panel screen is best viewed at a distance of about 2 1/2 times the diagonal measurement of the screen.

For instance, if the screen is 24" like this Dell, then the best viewing distance would be about five feet.

As I said, this is a general rule. If you get close enough to any screen, you will eventually be able to see the pixels. If you can see the pixels, you certainly are too close to the screen.

Following this guidance, the 24" Dell is too big for the typical desktop. It may work better if your work space is a table where the monitor screen is on the other side of the table from the user.
July 25, 2005 7:12:57 PM

when I can finally afford my Dell 24", I plan on it being about 3 feet from my face.

July 26, 2005 12:34:59 AM

mine is about 2 feet.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 26, 2005 3:59:51 PM

for what PAL/NSTC TV? the viewing distence seems to be more related to the actual resolution (86dpi - 19" 1280x1024, 133dpi - 17" 1920x1200, etc...) than diagonal screen size
July 26, 2005 4:35:25 PM

I have this 24" Dell Monitor for a few months now. it's AWESOME and it's the only purchase I've made that I just out of blue tell wifely how great it is. I can watch TV in the corner and have two full browser windows open side by side plus email in another corner and can see all the programs tabs open plus long menu lists.. It fricking rocks I tell ya. I don't get any neck pain (who said that crazy thing?).

I play games with a GeForce 6600 GT and it does just fine on medium settings. I don't notice any ghosting at all. You can also play with black bars on the side and top so say if you only want to play as though it's a 19" LCD you can. And the black bars make it a nice background for playing actually. But I'm not a huge gamer.

I am a web designer so color is important and I have no problems switching from CRT. I tink it's easier on my eyes after 10 hours sitting in front of the thing. I don't get as tired in my eyes.

Also, I keep the monitor the same distance as my CRT was. Closer actually as there is no more bothersome flicker. I find myself working in the area in front of my eyes mainly but having the other space for open email, tv, desktop items and just plain breathing room is soooo nice. less clutter = relaxing to work on.

But it does get hot. The frinking thing heats up my room as mentioned by others. Wifely doesn't believe my but I hot sitting there even when the rest of the house is cold. I'm thinking of seriously installing some fans in back.

<A HREF="http://www.ericstoffers.com" target="_new">(My little web site)</A>
July 26, 2005 4:37:22 PM

I thought LCD's emit less heat than same sized CRT's

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 26, 2005 7:07:59 PM

Yeah but you have to remember something, it's all relative... compare say the Dell 2405fpw to say a Sony FW900, having owned a Sony FW900 I can tell you those things put out heat like a 1kw bar fire!
July 27, 2005 6:45:27 AM

I don't feel any heat from it. However, the casing is kinda warm to the touch. Never thought about it before.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 27, 2005 11:59:36 AM

Plasma TV's emit a lot of heat. But LCD's are touted as saving energy and running cooler as benifits to CRT's

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2005 4:21:22 PM

my point was that large TFT <b>does</b> put out a significant amount of heat but that is far <i><b>less</i></b> than a comparable CRT.
July 28, 2005 12:58:31 AM

significant is an overstatement. You have to touch it to notice.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 28, 2005 7:50:48 PM

Well I'm not sure where the 2 1/2 times diagonal of monitor comes from. Generally the figure I use is about 70 cm from the screen, but that's for regular (i.e. 15" to 19") monitors, which gives a ratio of about 1.6 or so; I've measured my distance and it really is that far away when I'm sitting comfortably at my desk. Is it like the distance where you can see the whole screen without having to move your neck or something? Heh.

But anyway, LCDs emit heat, since they have circuit boards in them and those little wires do have a finite resistance. The heat though comes from the wires themselves, not from other stuff like an electron gun tube, so it's like your computer's motherboard when you have it on for a long time. Since most people mount their monitors vertically, convection usually does a good enough job of drawing away the heat so that it's not a concern. You should leave a couple of inches of space on all sides though so that it doesn't just recycle the same (hot) air over and over, but gets fresh air.

Just feel your laptop after a couple of hours of use. You'll find that the back of the screen is still cool to the touch, even though the laptop itself is warm. This is because for laptops, the screen part is only the LCD panel, with all the other stuff tucked away inside the keyboard half. For monitors though, they're all in the same place, so the monitor will get warm.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2005 8:57:08 PM

I've got an early 23" Sony TFT and that gets warm enough so that you can feel the heat coming off the top of the screen without touching it after a couple of hours use. My 17" (NEC) however stays much cooler the only noticeable heat is from the area the PSU resides.
July 29, 2005 12:38:21 AM

I would say this thing is cool. My 19" CRT got pretty hot. I had a 20" monitor built in 1995 and that beast literally said "radiation" on the front of it and was very very very hot.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 30, 2005 9:49:08 AM

Maybe they should put that "radiation danger" decal on the front =P
!