recovering from half install

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
Hi
i have two 160gb striped and a 250gig maxtor drive that i was using as a backup drive. some how when i was moving the two 160gb drives from one raid controller to another i accidently started re-installing windows on the backup drive(probably got my boot selection on the bios confused), i stopped the instalation but according to windows there are no (original)files on the 250 gig drive (just the windows and documents folders). is there a way to recover from this situation and get my backups back, (the 160gigs have had stuff reinstalled so they are a no go)

thanks jc

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

pat

Expert
I would try to install Windows to the RAID array without reformatting, and then connect the 250 gigs to see what is on. You'd better disconnect the 250 to install Win on the RAID array and set boot device priority to CDROM for first, then SCSI or whatever your BIOS give you the choice and then floppy. HDD0 refer at the primary controller, the one that you 250 will be connected to after the install and you dont want it to boot from.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
" would try to install Windows to the RAID array without reformatting"
>>i already have the raid drives up and running again, theres nothing i going to get off them.
"and then connect the 250 gigs to see what is on"
whats on it according to windows is a windows and documents folder. I'm looking for a tool to see if i can recover what was on the backup before the partial install

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.

pat

Expert
Ok, I understand now. You did format the drive before installing or just start to install without reformatting? There is tools to unformat the drive and recover data, but if you already have some files or directory, you may have lost some files already.

I would check google for tools to recover data from a formatted drive.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
i didn't explitly format it but the xp install may have. had a look at google but was looking for somw recomendations. something free / demo

thanks jc