msn messenger help

When msn messenger loads, I receive the following error:

msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetTextExtentPointI could not be located in the
dynamic link library

I then use Task Manager to close the program. I've tried the following
procedure to address the situation (as per instructions in this newsgroup):

"See line 328: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm""

This addresses the problem of the GetIUMS procedure entry point, but not the
GetTextExtentPointI entry point. It did not resolve my problem. If someone
could give me advice, I'd appreciate it.

Note: My system is Dell and therefore I do *not* have an install disk.

Thanks,
Greg
4 answers Last reply
More about messenger help

    Have you gone to add/remove programs,windows components,then unchecked
    the box for windows messenger,if not you need to,both msn and windows
    messenger cant run at the same time.Also,why fool with msn messenger,its
    really designed to run in msn explorer,a dial-up isp provider.

    "gregt" wrote:

    > When msn messenger loads, I receive the following error:
    >
    > msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    > The procedure entry point GetTextExtentPointI could not be located in the
    > dynamic link library
    >
    > I then use Task Manager to close the program. I've tried the following
    > procedure to address the situation (as per instructions in this newsgroup):
    >
    > "See line 328: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm""
    >
    > This addresses the problem of the GetIUMS procedure entry point, but not the
    > GetTextExtentPointI entry point. It did not resolve my problem. If someone
    > could give me advice, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Note: My system is Dell and therefore I do *not* have an install disk.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    cf.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msn.messenger/browse_frm/thread/94ad4f5f1f673a59/354b346e983c5fcd?q=msnmsgr.exe+-+Entry+Point+Not+Found&rnum=1&hl=en#354b346e983c5fcd

    1. Uninstall MSN Messenger & reboot.

    2. Download/install MSN Messenger v7.0.0813 from http://messenger.msn.com/.

    You can post further queries to this MSN Messenger-specific newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.msn.messenger

    On the web:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.msn.messenger

    In your newsreader:
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    gregt wrote:
    > When msn messenger loads, I receive the following error:
    >
    > msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    > The procedure entry point GetTextExtentPointI could not be located in the
    > dynamic link library
    >
    > I then use Task Manager to close the program. I've tried the following
    > procedure to address the situation (as per instructions in this
    > newsgroup):
    > "See line 328: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm""
    >
    > This addresses the problem of the GetIUMS procedure entry point, but not
    > the GetTextExtentPointI entry point. It did not resolve my problem. If
    > someone could give me advice, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Note: My system is Dell and therefore I do *not* have an install disk.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    MSN Messenger is now up to version 7.0 0816 (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > cf.
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msn.messenger/browse_frm/thread/94ad4f5f1f673a59/354b346e983c5fcd?q=msnmsgr.exe+-+Entry+Point+Not+Found&rnum=1&hl=en#354b346e983c5fcd
    >
    > 1. Uninstall MSN Messenger & reboot.
    >
    > 2. Download/install MSN Messenger v7.0.0813 from
    > http://messenger.msn.com/.
    >
    > You can post further queries to this MSN Messenger-specific newsgroup:
    >
    > microsoft.public.msn.messenger
    >
    > On the web:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.msn.messenger
    >
    > In your newsreader:
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >

    > gregt wrote:
    >> When msn messenger loads, I receive the following error:
    >>
    >> msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    >> The procedure entry point GetTextExtentPointI could not be located in the
    >> dynamic link library
    >>
    >> I then use Task Manager to close the program. I've tried the following
    >> procedure to address the situation (as per instructions in this
    >> newsgroup):
    >> "See line 328: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm""
    >>
    >> This addresses the problem of the GetIUMS procedure entry point, but not
    >> the GetTextExtentPointI entry point. It did not resolve my problem. If
    >> someone could give me advice, I'd appreciate it.
    >>
    >> Note: My system is Dell and therefore I do *not* have an install disk.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Greg

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    Another update? Jeez...

    Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
    > MSN Messenger is now up to version 7.0 0816 (-:

    > > cf.
    > > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msn.messenger/browse_frm/thread/94ad4f5f1f673a59/354b346e983c5fcd?q=msnmsgr.exe+-+Entry+Point+Not+Found&rnum=1&hl=en#354b346e983c5fcd
    > >
    > > 1. Uninstall MSN Messenger & reboot.
    > >
    > > 2. Download/install MSN Messenger v7.0.0813 from
    > > http://messenger.msn.com/.
    > >
    > > You can post further queries to this MSN Messenger-specific newsgroup:
    > >
    > > microsoft.public.msn.messenger
    > >
    > > On the web:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.msn.messenger
    > >
    > > In your newsreader:
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >

    > > gregt wrote:
    > > > When msn messenger loads, I receive the following error:
    > > >
    > > > msnmsgr.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    > > > The procedure entry point GetTextExtentPointI could not be located in
    > > > the dynamic link library
    > > >
    > > > I then use Task Manager to close the program. I've tried the
    > > > following procedure to address the situation (as per instructions in
    > > > this newsgroup):
    > > > "See line 328: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm""
    > > >
    > > > This addresses the problem of the GetIUMS procedure entry point, but
    > > > not the GetTextExtentPointI entry point. It did not resolve my
    > > > problem. If someone could give me advice, I'd appreciate it.
    > > >
    > > > Note: My system is Dell and therefore I do *not* have an install
    > > > disk. Thanks,
    > > > Greg

MSN Messenger Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP