I need some help. (Long)

villagetorcher

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Saturday/Sunday
--------------------
Ok, so I bring my box to my bud's house to play some BF and Neverwinter Nights. It was pretty cold on the way there, but it booted up just fine when I got there.

On the way home, it was about 0* with a windchill of about -20* or so. I hook everything back up about a half hour ago, BIOS boots. It reconizes my CPU and measures the temp, good deal. When it checks my memory, it doesn't go any further than that. During boot I get a couple beeps. 1... 5-10 seconds go by, 1 more beep then some rapid beeps (think: throwing that speaker in a blender or something like that). I can't find one on their list that seems like the problem, it's Phoenix/Award BIOS btw.

My box was exposed to the elements for maybe 2-3 minutes, and the ride home was pretty cold (another 2 minutes). So that's about 5 minutes that it was exposed to very cold temps. My case side wasn't on either, if that makes a difference. My water cooling water did not freeze.

Anyways, I hope my RAM didn't [-peep-] out on me cause of the cold, but if it did, it's a good excuse to upgrade which I've been wanting to do. My other box is junk and won't go on the internet, so I'm on my dad's slow ass machine.

I realize that condensation probably formed on the RAM chips and then when I booted up, I fried them.

Today
------------------
I buy some RAM (Kingston PC2700) this afternoon. Install only one stick after I get home from work. Same result, god damnit...

The next step I can think of is to buy the exact same motherboard again, I think it has to be the exact same, or atleast the exact same chipset. Current board is a Soyo Ultra Dragon with the KT400 chipset. Any other ideas? That motherboard is a $109 replacement for a brand new one right from Soyo, or like $65 and $85 for a refurb from newegg.

I can't think of anything else it would be other than the connectors for the RAM are what got toasted along with the chips. I've noticed that my video takes a little longer to show on the screen as well. It comes on right after those rapid beeps.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

*sigh*

Chris

dns1980

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
I think your analyse is right.
But you had better check if the problem comes from your graphics card as well.

If not, then go for a new motherboard.

villagetorcher

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Today I took everything apart, ran new water lines, put everything back together and still get the same problem. Tried with the old RAM and with the new RAM. I'll try again with the on-board video and see if the problem persists, if it does, conclusion is that it is the motherboard.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Chris, I had something like that happen to me on my old system, moisture caused corrosion between the connectors on the memory and the motherboard slot.
Look at the original memory where it makes electrical contact with the motherboard slot for any sign of corrosion or damage. Look down in the slot on the motherboard for corrosion or any contact damage. If you find any it may be as simple as cleaning it or worse case it may have caused a short and fried the board.
GOOD LUCK

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hot air meeting cold air in the sky makes rain. Hot components meeting cold air outside makes moisture droplets. Always let your stuff cool off for a while and slip a trash bag over it if you are going to take it out in the cold. I've seen cards and even memory loosen in transport too. Check everything JIC.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Thermonite

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004
those beeps of yours mean something check your mobo manual might help u

--------MY RIG-------
P4 3.0 HT 775
GA-81925X-G
512x2 DDR2-533
GA 6600GT
WD Raptor