Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 clean installation

Last response: in Windows 7
September 15, 2012 1:58:08 PM

halo.

im running win 7 32 bit ultimate duplicate version. now i had purchased win 7 home basic 64 bit. how to install win7 64 home basic. im not able to format C DRIVE. should i directly install CD FOR INSTALLATION OR FIRST I HAVE TO CLEAN MY PC. BUT C DRIVE IS NOT ABLE TO FORMAT.

More about : win clean installation

a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:05:26 PM

Put it in the cd and boot to it. It will give you an option(under advanced options) to delete any partitions on the drive, and then you select the unpartitioned space to load Windows.
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:09:35 PM

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY DATA ON DRIVE C.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 2:10:41 PM

I HAVE TO LOAD MY WINDOWS IN DRIVE C
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:25:18 PM

To change from 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to do a clean install, that will erase everything on your drive.
And, you will have to reinstall your apps.

First, use windows easy transfer to copy all of your files and settings to somewhere else.
After you install the 64 bit os, you can import those settings.
Regardless, your apps will have to be reinstalled.

If you don't have a second drive, it might be an opportune time to buy a SSD and install the os on that, leaving your old hard drive disconnected. After install, your files will be available to when you reconnect your hard drive.

And... I don't know what a windows ultimate "duplicate version" is. But assuming it is a legitimate copy of windows, there is no need to buy a second copy to get 64 bit. You probably don't want windows basic, I would return it if it is unopened.
The same activation code from your current os will activate the 64 bit version. All you need is the temporary use of a windows 7 64 bit dvd
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:55:17 PM

You're going to lose any data on the C drive. back-up any data before you do this. Windows Easy transfer will work for anything in you profile (My Document, Favorites, etc.) , but if you store data anywhere else on your C drive you'll have to back it up to something(USB drive).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 3:18:39 PM

ss202sl said:
You're going to lose any data on the C drive. back-up any data before you do this. Windows Easy transfer will work for anything in you profile (My Document, Favorites, etc.) , but if you store data anywhere else on your C drive you'll have to back it up to something(USB drive).

If I am not mistaken, it will copy every file if you wish.
m
l
!