Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cheapest Place to Get Windows 7 Now?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:22:19 PM

Building a new computer, and I have purchased everything but the OS. Is Newegg the cheapest place to get Windows at $100? I am a grad student if that helps, but I'm not in any computer science classes, so I struck out with Dreamspark, and I'm not aware of my school having the Microsoft discounts. I have a 32 bit version on an old laptop, and I wondered if there was a way to transfer that, but I will obviously need 64 bit on the new desktop.

More about : cheapest place windows

September 15, 2012 2:23:31 PM

Oh, and I only need the Home version.
m
l

Best solution

September 15, 2012 2:31:30 PM
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:35:19 PM

If you are a student with a .EDU e-mail, I think you are eligible for an academic discount. Check that out.

The 32 bit version on your old laptop is likely an oem version which can not legitimately be transferred to another pc.

One benefit of buying a new copy of windows 7 on a DVD is that it can be used for recovery.

If you have a need for 2 or more copies of windows 7, you could look into the family upgrade pack which sells for $120
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade...

It comes with both a 32 and 64 bit dvd.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:22:12 PM

The answer obviously isn't in a store. That's for sure.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:38:19 PM

Meriwether_R said:
Building a new computer, and I have purchased everything but the OS. Is Newegg the cheapest place to get Windows at $100? I am a grad student if that helps, but I'm not in any computer science classes, so I struck out with Dreamspark, and I'm not aware of my school having the Microsoft discounts. I have a 32 bit version on an old laptop, and I wondered if there was a way to transfer that, but I will obviously need 64 bit on the new desktop.

If the School has a Dreamspark discount and you are in any STEM program, you "should" be able to get Win7 for free or deeply discounted.
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:51:30 PM

Best answer selected by Meriwether_R.
m
l
!