Too many restore points

July 13, 2005 6:20:02 PM

Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on the
disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated launching of
the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!

At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
message.

When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
can they be deleted.

In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT. Evetnid.net
or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on this. Appart from
this, the PC seems to work OK.

Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.

Should I disable the Restore function?

Any other ideas?

--
Len

More about : restore points

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:52:06 PM

First,in the systems property settings for page file,you need to click "set"
2X otherwise youre adjustments wont install.2nd,run disk clean up utility,
more options tab,click on "eliminate all but the last restore point" then
click
ok,or turn off system restore in system properties,restart compter,then set a
date and turn on restore in xp.You might also go to run,type:CLEANMGR
/SAGESET
select disk clean up areas or all,then close out,back to run,type:
CLEANMGR /SAGERUN Disk cleanup mgr runs youre settings.

"Leonard MOR" wrote:

> Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
> interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on the
> disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated launching of
> the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!
>
> At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
> small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
> message.
>
> When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
> folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
> over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
> can they be deleted.
>
> In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT. Evetnid.net
> or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on this. Appart from
> this, the PC seems to work OK.
>
> Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.
>
> Should I disable the Restore function?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> --
> Len
July 13, 2005 6:53:32 PM

Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options > System Restore >
Cleanup will remove all Restore Points except for the most recent.

"Leonard MOR" <LeonardMOR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
> interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on
> the
> disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated launching
> of
> the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!
>
> At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
> small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
> message.
>
> When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
> folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
> over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
> can they be deleted.
>
> In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT.
> Evetnid.net
> or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on this. Appart
> from
> this, the PC seems to work OK.
>
> Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.
>
> Should I disable the Restore function?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> --
> Len
July 13, 2005 10:38:58 PM

See available options at Control Panel > System > System Restore > Disk
space usage (set as appropriate).

I would not disable System Restore IIWY.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Leonard MOR wrote:
> Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
> interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on
> the disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated
> launching of the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!
>
> At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
> small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
> message.
>
> When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
> folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
> over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
> can they be deleted.
>
> In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT.
> Evetnid.net or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on
> this. Appart from this, the PC seems to work OK.
>
> Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.
>
> Should I disable the Restore function?
>
> Any other ideas?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:37:03 AM

Hi Andrew (and others),

Have tried cleaning old Restore points but they are stiil there. Problem
seems to be related to the creation of the system page file. Have tried
deleting the page file and then recreating it. For example, recommended size
isd 754Mb so I indicated between 754Mb and 1536Mb. When I reboot, I get a
message "No page file or page file too small. Pour correct this problem go
into system configuration etc." (Actually I am translating roughly from the
French error message).
When I go into the system page properties, advanced settings, I see another
message that Windows "has created a temporary page file because of an error
encountered in configuring the exchange file during startup". The page file
is only 256MB

And I get a number of 491 Event ids source ESENT in the event file.

Quid ?
--
Len

"Andrew E." a écrit :

> First,in the systems property settings for page file,you need to click "set"
> 2X otherwise youre adjustments wont install.2nd,run disk clean up utility,
> more options tab,click on "eliminate all but the last restore point" then
> click
> ok,or turn off system restore in system properties,restart compter,then set a
> date and turn on restore in xp.You might also go to run,type:CLEANMGR
> /SAGESET
> select disk clean up areas or all,then close out,back to run,type:
> CLEANMGR /SAGERUN Disk cleanup mgr runs youre settings.
>
> "Leonard MOR" wrote:
>
> > Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
> > interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on the
> > disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated launching of
> > the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!
> >
> > At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
> > small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
> > message.
> >
> > When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
> > folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
> > over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
> > can they be deleted.
> >
> > In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT. Evetnid.net
> > or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on this. Appart from
> > this, the PC seems to work OK.
> >
> > Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.
> >
> > Should I disable the Restore function?
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Len
July 15, 2005 6:13:28 AM

Leonard MOR wrote on Wed, 13 Jul 2005:

>Have a client PC with Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed and a number of
>interelated problems. First symptom was there was no more space left on the
>disk (even though very few applications are installed). Repeated launching of
>the clean disk function on Explorer liberated 10Gb!
>
>At each boot, OS indicates that the paging file is non existant or too
>small. Have tried recreating and/or increasing size but still get same
>message.
>
>When I look in the System Volume Information folder there over a hundred
>folders inside the _restore folder (named RPC100, RPC101,...) and occuping
>over 13Gb of space. I presume these are Restore Points but why so many and
>can they be deleted.
>
>In the events file I'm getting a 491 event ID with source ESENT. Evetnid.net
>or Microsoft links don't give me any further information on this. Appart from
>this, the PC seems to work OK.
>
>Have checked for viruses and PC seems clean.
>
>Should I disable the Restore function?
>
>Any other ideas?

Hi Len

Maybe one of these might help: