New Desktop HP vs Dell

marieaa

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hello:

I am in the market for a new desktop pc. My primary use is with microsoft office & photoshop for photo editing, surfing, and multitasking for home.

I've narrowed it down to the HP Pavillion HPE h8xt and the Dell Studio XPS 8300. I have an older HP now but would be fine with making a switch to a Dell. I'm looking for opinions on one vs the other as their price points, features, functions are relatively the same...and both have the sandy bridge processor, too.

Help!

JoshWS

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
For $899 I looked around and found a computer (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=57521&Sku=G180-11004)which brings the best of both computers together.
It has an;
Intel Core i7 2600
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GT440
This computer would be the best for you money after a quick search and many people would recommend it on TomsHardware.

The only reason to stick with HP or Dell would be the business warranty. If you get their standard consumer warranty, its the same as everyone else, crappy.

I would recommend (if your set on HP and Dell) to look into Dell's gold support next business day warranty, it is fantastic. That being said, desktop's are usually not prone to expensive failure for the first three years. About the main thing that could fail and cost more then the warranty would be the CPU?Motherboard.

Which brings us to the reasoning behind a Dell / HP choice.