Any free partition resizers?

Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install xp pro on a
separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive. Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about free partition resizers

    Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:DiskPart
    In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

    In news:elGbUL$hFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Brian Conner <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> typed:

    > Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install
    > xp pro
    > on a separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive.
    > Thanks!

    One shareware product that gets good reports from several MVPs
    (although I haven't used it personally) is Bootit Next
    Generation. It's not free, but it comes with a 30-day free trial,
    and you should be able to do what you want within that period.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
    Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:

    > Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    > type:DiskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
    > and
    > delete them.

    Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
    get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Brian Conner" wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install
    >> xp pro
    >> on a separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive.
    >> Thanks!

    Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
    a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
    program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:

    | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:DiskPart
    | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

    Is there a basic version?

    > Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
    > a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
    > program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:
    >
    > | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    > type:DiskPart
    > | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

    Symantec PartitionMagic 8.0 Downloadable Software - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681254226SF

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Brian Conner" wrote:

    | Is there a basic version?

    If you have an imaging program, you might be able to do this,
    providing you have enough disk space for a pseudo "Merge".

    (1.) Copy content of secondary partition to the first, in a
    folder such as Drive-E - Free space on the first drive
    may prevent this from being a workable solution.
    (2.) Then Image the entire 1st Drive to removable media or
    another physical disk & then burn to CD/DVD-R.
    (3.) Delete both Partitions from the drive
    (4.) Restore the Image, using the Imaging program's
    destination resize function to use the space from both
    previous partitions.

    NOTE: I wouldn't even attempt this unless you've got your
    data backed up & VERIFIED.

    NOTE-1: This won't work if the 2nd Partition is bootable or
    has an Operating System installed on it.

    "Brian Conner" <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a basic version?

    >> Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
    >> a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
    >> program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:
    >>
    >> | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    >> type:DiskPart
    >> | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

    Hi, Brian.

    A basic version of WHAT? Partition Magic? Maybe you mean a trial version?
    Since Symantec bought Partition Magic several months ago, you might try to
    see what you can find on www.symantec.com.

    So far as I know, Microsoft sells nothing that will shrink a volume (a
    primary partition, or a logical drive in an extended partition). They
    provide two quite different programs with the same name, Diskpart, and one
    of them might help you.

    In the Recovery Console, the Diskpart command can either add a new partition
    or delete an existing one, but that's all it can do.

    In a "DOS" window in WinXP (or from the Run prompt), Diskpart.exe can do
    much more. Just type "diskpart" to enter the DiskPart shell. Then type
    Help to see a list of the dozen or so functions that it can do, from Add to
    Select, and including Extend. Or click Start | Help and Support and type
    "extend" into the Search box. There is a lot of information here and it is
    not linear; you'll need to follow several Related topics links to get the
    full picture.

    Diskpart /extend cannot shrink a volume, but it can grow one - sometimes.
    The Help file lists several limits; the most important in your case probably
    is that it can't work on the System Partition or Boot Volume - typically
    Drive C:. So you might have to move the physical drive into a different
    WinXP computer to perform the resizing, then put it back when you are done.
    You'll have to delete the volume(s) immediately following C:, then extend C:
    into the unallocated contiguous space.

    Diskpart.exe is a powerful utility that can do as much harm as good if not
    used carefully. But, in the right situation, it can make Drive C: larger.
    And you already have it in WinXP.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
    > Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
    >
    >> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    >> type:DiskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
    >> and
    >> delete them.
    >

    > Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
    > get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?

    Ken,

    Andrew the Eejit has been posting complete and utter garbage to the MS
    Usenet groups for at least four years. Let's look at the evidence: -

    1) Always posts via the CDO which means is IP his untraceable

    2) Only ever posts once to a thread; does not return to see whether he
    has actually helped someone (because, to date, he never has).

    3) Posts totally devoid of even rudimentary punctuation and, usually,
    spelling and grammar (this one isn't bad, though) meaning that it can be
    easily misconstrued.

    He's on a mission to destroy as many systems as possible. There are over
    4,500 of his posts archived by Google - I can guarantee that not a single
    one will offer any useful, helpful or intelligent 'advice'. He's dangerous,
    IMO, which is why I've not killfiled him.

    How long has it been that you have been posting your garbage?

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:24:53 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com>
    wrote:

    >Ken Blake wrote:
    >> In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
    >> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    >>> type:DiskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
    >>> and
    >>> delete them.
    >>

    >> Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
    >> get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?
    >
    >Ken,
    >
    >Andrew the Eejit has been posting complete and utter garbage to the MS
    >Usenet groups for at least four years. Let's look at the evidence: -
    >
    >1) Always posts via the CDO which means is IP his untraceable
    >
    >2) Only ever posts once to a thread; does not return to see whether he
    >has actually helped someone (because, to date, he never has).
    >
    >3) Posts totally devoid of even rudimentary punctuation and, usually,
    >spelling and grammar (this one isn't bad, though) meaning that it can be
    >easily misconstrued.
    >

    > He's on a mission to destroy as many systems as possible. There are over
    >4,500 of his posts archived by Google - I can guarantee that not a single
    >one will offer any useful, helpful or intelligent 'advice'. He's dangerous,
    >IMO, which is why I've not killfiled him.

    Pot. Kettle. Black.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP Product