Any free partition resizers?

July 13, 2005 8:35:43 PM

Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install xp pro on a
separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive. Thanks!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:35:44 PM

Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:D iskPart
In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

In news:elGbUL$hFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Brian Conner <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> typed:

> Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install
> xp pro
> on a separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive.
> Thanks!

One shareware product that gets good reports from several MVPs
(although I haven't used it personally) is Bootit Next
Generation. It's not free, but it comes with a 30-day free trial,
and you should be able to do what you want within that period.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 13, 2005 8:35:45 PM

In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:

> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
> type:D iskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
> and
> delete them.

Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Brian Conner" wrote:
>
>> Are there any free partition resizers? I am trying to install
>> xp pro
>> on a separate partition and need to resize the C:\ drive.
>> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:50:36 PM

Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Andrew E." erroneously wrote:

| Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:D iskPart
| In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:09:12 PM

Is there a basic version?

> Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
> a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
> program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:
>
> | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
> type:D iskPart
> | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:18:32 PM

Symantec PartitionMagic 8.0 Downloadable Software - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brian Conner" wrote:

| Is there a basic version?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:20:02 PM

If you have an imaging program, you might be able to do this,
providing you have enough disk space for a pseudo "Merge".

(1.) Copy content of secondary partition to the first, in a
folder such as Drive-E - Free space on the first drive
may prevent this from being a workable solution.
(2.) Then Image the entire 1st Drive to removable media or
another physical disk & then burn to CD/DVD-R.
(3.) Delete both Partitions from the drive
(4.) Restore the Image, using the Imaging program's
destination resize function to use the space from both
previous partitions.

NOTE: I wouldn't even attempt this unless you've got your
data backed up & VERIFIED.

NOTE-1: This won't work if the 2nd Partition is bootable or
has an Operating System installed on it.

"Brian Conner" <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a basic version?

>> Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
>> a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
>> program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:
>>
>> | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
>> type:D iskPart
>> | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:19:09 AM

Hi, Brian.

A basic version of WHAT? Partition Magic? Maybe you mean a trial version?
Since Symantec bought Partition Magic several months ago, you might try to
see what you can find on www.symantec.com.

So far as I know, Microsoft sells nothing that will shrink a volume (a
primary partition, or a logical drive in an extended partition). They
provide two quite different programs with the same name, Diskpart, and one
of them might help you.

In the Recovery Console, the Diskpart command can either add a new partition
or delete an existing one, but that's all it can do.

In a "DOS" window in WinXP (or from the Run prompt), Diskpart.exe can do
much more. Just type "diskpart" to enter the DiskPart shell. Then type
Help to see a list of the dozen or so functions that it can do, from Add to
Select, and including Extend. Or click Start | Help and Support and type
"extend" into the Search box. There is a lot of information here and it is
not linear; you'll need to follow several Related topics links to get the
full picture.

Diskpart /extend cannot shrink a volume, but it can grow one - sometimes.
The Help file lists several limits; the most important in your case probably
is that it can't work on the System Partition or Boot Volume - typically
Drive C:. So you might have to move the physical drive into a different
WinXP computer to perform the resizing, then put it back when you are done.
You'll have to delete the volume(s) immediately following C:, then extend C:
into the unallocated contiguous space.

Diskpart.exe is a powerful utility that can do as much harm as good if not
used carefully. But, in the right situation, it can make Drive C: larger.
And you already have it in WinXP.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Brian Conner" <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a basic version?

>> Wrong again, Andrew! You cannot use Diskpart to merge or resize
>> a partition if Windows XP is installed on it. A third-party partitioning
>> program, such as Partition Magic 8, is required.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "Andrew E." erroneously wrote:
>>
>> | Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
>> type:D iskPart
>> | In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create and delete them.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:24:53 AM

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
>
>> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
>> type:D iskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
>> and
>> delete them.
>

> Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
> get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?

Ken,

Andrew the Eejit has been posting complete and utter garbage to the MS
Usenet groups for at least four years. Let's look at the evidence: -

1) Always posts via the CDO which means is IP his untraceable

2) Only ever posts once to a thread; does not return to see whether he
has actually helped someone (because, to date, he never has).

3) Posts totally devoid of even rudimentary punctuation and, usually,
spelling and grammar (this one isn't bad, though) meaning that it can be
easily misconstrued.

He's on a mission to destroy as many systems as possible. There are over
4,500 of his posts archived by Google - I can guarantee that not a single
one will offer any useful, helpful or intelligent 'advice'. He's dangerous,
IMO, which is why I've not killfiled him.
July 14, 2005 3:45:39 PM

How long has it been that you have been posting your garbage?

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
>> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
>>
>>> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
>>> type:D iskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
>>> and
>>> delete them.
>>

>> Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
>> get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?
>
> Ken,
>
> Andrew the Eejit has been posting complete and utter garbage to the MS
> Usenet groups for at least four years. Let's look at the evidence: -
>
> 1) Always posts via the CDO which means is IP his untraceable
>
> 2) Only ever posts once to a thread; does not return to see whether he
> has actually helped someone (because, to date, he never has).
>
> 3) Posts totally devoid of even rudimentary punctuation and, usually,
> spelling and grammar (this one isn't bad, though) meaning that it can be
> easily misconstrued.
>

> He's on a mission to destroy as many systems as possible. There are over
> 4,500 of his posts archived by Google - I can guarantee that not a single
> one will offer any useful, helpful or intelligent 'advice'. He's
> dangerous, IMO, which is why I've not killfiled him.

July 14, 2005 5:14:03 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:24:53 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:771BF09B-CE6B-47F0-9DC8-C22FD655CF56@microsoft.com,
>> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
>>
>>> Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
>>> type:D iskPart In DiskPart you can adjust partitions or create
>>> and
>>> delete them.
>>

>> Completely wrong, again. Do you just make this stuff up? Do you
>> get a kick out of giving people wrong advice?
>
>Ken,
>
>Andrew the Eejit has been posting complete and utter garbage to the MS
>Usenet groups for at least four years. Let's look at the evidence: -
>
>1) Always posts via the CDO which means is IP his untraceable
>
>2) Only ever posts once to a thread; does not return to see whether he
>has actually helped someone (because, to date, he never has).
>
>3) Posts totally devoid of even rudimentary punctuation and, usually,
>spelling and grammar (this one isn't bad, though) meaning that it can be
>easily misconstrued.
>

> He's on a mission to destroy as many systems as possible. There are over
>4,500 of his posts archived by Google - I can guarantee that not a single
>one will offer any useful, helpful or intelligent 'advice'. He's dangerous,
>IMO, which is why I've not killfiled him.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
!