connecting to an existing network

Can I connect my MN-500 base station to my existing
linksys wired network? I would like to use my MN-500 as a
hub and wireless access point.
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about connecting existing network

    Please not the following instructions assume you are only using the
    Microsoft routers but you can replace any of the routers listed so long
    as it is in the correct mode and that they are all on the same network.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if
    available)

    Make sure all MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.00.08.0333

    Now lets look at the setup of each MN-500 or MN-700:

    MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    some SSID
    some WEP key
    channel 6

    MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 1

    MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key the same for all base stations, people
    will be able to move between offices and get a connection.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    Carl wrote:

    > Can I connect my MN-500 base station to my existing
    > linksys wired network? I would like to use my MN-500 as a
    > hub and wireless access point.
    > Thanks

    Dear Carl,

    FYI, following on joker's comment. I run my MN-700 out of
    my Linksys wired router, however I run it as a router not
    an access point. This is a little more secure for me.
    The MN-700 is assigned an IP by the Linksys for WAN
    connection, but it then assigns IPs to all the wireless
    devices on its "sub-LAN". This works well by default,
    since the Linksys DCHP uses "192.168.1.xxx" and the MN-
    700 DHCP uses "192.168.2.xxx". Now, of course, I have
    set different DHCP ranges form both the Linksys router
    and MN-700 "sub-router".

    All PCs have internet connectivity, and all share a
    common network drive.

    This may work for you, but it isn't acceptable network topology.
    Sooner or later you will find something that does not work because of
    this.

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:26:35 -0700, "Ken"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Hardware Wireless Access Connection Microsoft Networking