connecting to an existing network

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 14, 2004 2:56:45 PM

Can I connect my MN-500 base station to my existing
linksys wired network? I would like to use my MN-500 as a
hub and wireless access point.
Thanks
July 14, 2004 5:14:20 PM

Please not the following instructions assume you are only using the
Microsoft routers but you can replace any of the routers listed so long
as it is in the correct mode and that they are all on the same network.

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if
available)

Make sure all MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.00.08.0333

Now lets look at the setup of each MN-500 or MN-700:

MN-500 or MN-700 #1
router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
some SSID
some WEP key
channel 6

MN-500 or MN-700 #2
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID
same WEP key
channel 1

MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID
same WEP key
channel 11

If you keep the SSID and WEP key the same for all base stations, people
will be able to move between offices and get a connection.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

Carl wrote:

> Can I connect my MN-500 base station to my existing
> linksys wired network? I would like to use my MN-500 as a
> hub and wireless access point.
> Thanks
July 14, 2004 10:26:35 PM

Dear Carl,

FYI, following on joker's comment. I run my MN-700 out of
my Linksys wired router, however I run it as a router not
an access point. This is a little more secure for me.
The MN-700 is assigned an IP by the Linksys for WAN
connection, but it then assigns IPs to all the wireless
devices on its "sub-LAN". This works well by default,
since the Linksys DCHP uses "192.168.1.xxx" and the MN-
700 DHCP uses "192.168.2.xxx". Now, of course, I have
set different DHCP ranges form both the Linksys router
and MN-700 "sub-router".

All PCs have internet connectivity, and all share a
common network drive.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 9:25:50 AM

This may work for you, but it isn't acceptable network topology.
Sooner or later you will find something that does not work because of
this.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:26:35 -0700, "Ken"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist