Exclusion for Show Desktop

I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
if it's lost.
But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
app i want thus the windows is restored?
Thx in advance!
9 answers Last reply
More about exclusion show desktop

    I suggest the work around of right clicking an empty area on your clock on your Taskbar,
    left click Toolbars, left click Desktop. That will put a >> to the left of your
    notification area (formerly system tray). Click the >> and a menu will open with all of
    your desktop shortcuts, click to open what you want, and other open windows will not be
    minimized.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "hsjC" <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
    > And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
    > if it's lost.
    > But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
    > to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
    > Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
    > Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
    > app i want thus the windows is restored?
    > Thx in advance!

    Either you show the Desktop or you don't show the Desktop. It doesn't
    matter if you use Show Desktop in Quick Launch or actually minimize all
    windows manually.

    All Show Desktop in Quick Launch does is allow you to quickly toggle to the
    Desktop and back to whatever you were viewing before clicking it.

    Description of the "Show Desktop" Feature in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262088

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:92E352FE-239E-4853-994B-51E412F1DD43@microsoft.com,
    hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
    > And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
    > if it's lost.
    > But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
    > to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
    > Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
    > Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
    > app i want thus the windows is restored?
    > Thx in advance!

    Thx for all the replies.
    How do i minimize all the windows except the one I want to
    leave active?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Either you show the Desktop or you don't show the Desktop. It doesn't
    > matter if you use Show Desktop in Quick Launch or actually minimize all
    > windows manually.
    >
    > All Show Desktop in Quick Launch does is allow you to quickly toggle to the
    > Desktop and back to whatever you were viewing before clicking it.
    >
    > Description of the "Show Desktop" Feature in Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262088
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:92E352FE-239E-4853-994B-51E412F1DD43@microsoft.com,
    > hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
    > > And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
    > > if it's lost.
    > > But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
    > > to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
    > > Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
    > > Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
    > > app i want thus the windows is restored?
    > > Thx in advance!

    As far as I know, minimize all of them using Show Desktop from Quick
    Launch and then click on the Taskbar button of the one you want to maximize.

    Or use Show the Desktop on the right click Taskbar menu.

    Or just click the Taskbar button of the one you want to leave active.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:E273DF07-D068-4EF1-BEE5-69A7A576E89B@microsoft.com,
    hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thx for all the replies.
    > How do i minimize all the windows except the one I want to
    > leave active?
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Either you show the Desktop or you don't show the Desktop. It doesn't
    >> matter if you use Show Desktop in Quick Launch or actually minimize all
    >> windows manually.
    >>
    >> All Show Desktop in Quick Launch does is allow you to quickly toggle to
    >> the Desktop and back to whatever you were viewing before clicking it.
    >>
    >> Description of the "Show Desktop" Feature in Windows
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262088
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:92E352FE-239E-4853-994B-51E412F1DD43@microsoft.com,
    >> hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
    >>> And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
    >>> if it's lost.
    >>> But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
    >>> to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
    >>> Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
    >>> Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
    >>> app i want thus the windows is restored?
    >>> Thx in advance!

    Thx very much.
    That's what i've been doing. But i'm thinking,
    Is it possible to modify "show desktop" file to always exclude
    one particular program or automatically restore it after minimizing
    all other windows?
    People like me are lazy. :)

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > As far as I know, minimize all of them using Show Desktop from Quick
    > Launch and then click on the Taskbar button of the one you want to maximize.
    >
    > Or use Show the Desktop on the right click Taskbar menu.
    >
    > Or just click the Taskbar button of the one you want to leave active.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:E273DF07-D068-4EF1-BEE5-69A7A576E89B@microsoft.com,
    > hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thx for all the replies.
    > > How do i minimize all the windows except the one I want to
    > > leave active?
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Either you show the Desktop or you don't show the Desktop. It doesn't
    > >> matter if you use Show Desktop in Quick Launch or actually minimize all
    > >> windows manually.
    > >>
    > >> All Show Desktop in Quick Launch does is allow you to quickly toggle to
    > >> the Desktop and back to whatever you were viewing before clicking it.
    > >>
    > >> Description of the "Show Desktop" Feature in Windows
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:92E352FE-239E-4853-994B-51E412F1DD43@microsoft.com,
    > >> hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Well, let's assume that you could do that, and David Candy hasn't been
    around yet, which particular program would you exclude? Would it be the
    same one all the time? ;-)

    Check back. If it's possible, David'll let you know.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7BC13377-6466-42D6-8BAC-66F5EA724260@microsoft.com,
    hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thx very much.
    > That's what i've been doing. But i'm thinking,
    > Is it possible to modify "show desktop" file to always exclude
    > one particular program or automatically restore it after minimizing
    > all other windows?
    > People like me are lazy. :)
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> As far as I know, minimize all of them using Show Desktop from Quick
    >> Launch and then click on the Taskbar button of the one you want to
    >> maximize.
    >>
    >> Or use Show the Desktop on the right click Taskbar menu.
    >>
    >> Or just click the Taskbar button of the one you want to leave active.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:E273DF07-D068-4EF1-BEE5-69A7A576E89B@microsoft.com,
    >> hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thx for all the replies.
    >>> How do i minimize all the windows except the one I want to
    >>> leave active?

    Lol. K. It's a dock program called RK launcher.
    I love it, but if i click Show Desktop, it's gone.
    If i check the "Always on top" in RK launcher,
    it won't vanish, but it is literally always on top :)
    blocking useful info sometimes.
    So, i want to keep the dock and I don't want
    to give up on Show Desktop.
    There should be a compromise right?
    If i could modify Show Desktop to add that
    exclusion or simply re-run the dock in the end,
    this problem would be solved.
    Of course other solutions will also be
    appreciated!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Well, let's assume that you could do that, and David Candy hasn't been
    > around yet, which particular program would you exclude? Would it be the
    > same one all the time? ;-)
    >
    > Check back. If it's possible, David'll let you know.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:7BC13377-6466-42D6-8BAC-66F5EA724260@microsoft.com,
    > hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thx very much.
    > > That's what i've been doing. But i'm thinking,
    > > Is it possible to modify "show desktop" file to always exclude
    > > one particular program or automatically restore it after minimizing
    > > all other windows?
    > > People like me are lazy. :)
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> As far as I know, minimize all of them using Show Desktop from Quick
    > >> Launch and then click on the Taskbar button of the one you want to
    > >> maximize.
    > >>
    > >> Or use Show the Desktop on the right click Taskbar menu.
    > >>
    > >> Or just click the Taskbar button of the one you want to leave active.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:E273DF07-D068-4EF1-BEE5-69A7A576E89B@microsoft.com,
    > >> hsjC <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Simple you just click on the window/s you want active instead of the show
    desktop icon.

    "hsjC" <hsjC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know "Show Desktop" is actually a Explorer Command file.
    > And I've read the article about how to create that "Show desktop" file
    > if it's lost.
    > But, "Show Desktop" minimizes all the windows. Sometimes I do want
    > to leave only 1 or 2 stay active.
    > Is there a way to set some exclusions in that "Show Desktop" file?
    > Or, is there a way to add some line into that file, so that it runs the
    > app i want thus the windows is restored?
    > Thx in advance!
  9. Show Desktop 1.020
    Link
    'Show desktop' is a small free program that sits on your taskbar (on the right corner, such as the one in Windows 7) and minimizes all open windows when clicked.
    Works with Windows XP, Vista, AND Windows 7

    ---

    Features Include

    - Ability to change width
    - Ability to hide splash screen
    - Fits the height of your taskbar and positions itself in the right location.
    - Only works with horizontal taskbar
    - Option to either toggle desktop, or minimize all windows, either when it is clicked or the mouse is hovered over it
    - Option to make the button invisible

    Use "minimize all windows" option if you want rk launcher to remain on desktop.
    Old thread but will help others.

Desktops Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP