Windows XP Pro Terminal Services Missing

Hi,

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the terminal services is missing
in my services list on my HTPC running XP Pro. Terminal Services is on my
laptop, which I want to use to control my HTPC remotely. Can anyone tell me
how to get terminal services back on my HTPC?

Thanks,
Mark
8 answers Last reply
More about windows terminal services missing

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type cmd and click ok. From the prompt, run:

    net start termservice

    What happens?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Marky_Mark" <Marky_Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot for the life of me figure out why the terminal services is
    > missing
    > in my services list on my HTPC running XP Pro. Terminal Services is on my
    > laptop, which I want to use to control my HTPC remotely. Can anyone tell
    > me
    > how to get terminal services back on my HTPC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Hi Rick,

    It gave me the following errors:

    E:\Documents and Settings\Dad>net start termservice
    The service name is invalid.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

    E:\Documents and Settings\Dad>start termservice
    The system cannot find the file termservice.

    I think somehow termservice didn't get installed when I put XP Pro on this
    computer.
    So now what can I do?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Marky_Mark wrote:

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > It gave me the following errors:
    >
    > E:\Documents and Settings\Dad>net start termservice
    > The service name is invalid.
    >
    > More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.
    >

    > E:\Documents and Settings\Dad>start termservice
    > The system cannot find the file termservice.
    >
    > I think somehow termservice didn't get installed when I put XP Pro
    > on this computer.
    > So now what can I do?
    Hi,

    See if termsrv.dll is found in %windir%\System32\. If not, copy from
    %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386\ if one exists there or extract a copy
    from the OS CD.

    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt, but most likely
    E:\Windows for you it looks like)

    When the termsrv.dll file is in place, download and import the
    registry file in the link below.

    Restore Fast User Switching (Line 34)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co m/xp_tweaks.htm

    Reboot the computer and check if the Terminal Services service is
    in place.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hi Torgeir,

    I looked in the E:\windows\system32\ dir, and termsrv.dll is there. The
    link you posted to the registry change did not work. The site wouldn't load.
    I will try it again in a little while. Maybe there is a problem with there
    server or something.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Marky_Mark wrote:

    > Hi Torgeir,
    >
    > I looked in the E:\windows\system32\ dir, and termsrv.dll is
    > there. The link you posted to the registry change did not work.
    > The site wouldn't load. I will try it again in a little while.
    > Maybe there is a problem with there server or something.
    Hi,

    The URL was a bit messed up, this one should work better:

    Restore Fast User Switching (Line 34)

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hi Torgeir,

    Terminal Services does now show up in the list of services, but it will not
    start, and windows gives me error 1083 and the terminal services couldn't be
    started. What's my next step?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Marky_Mark wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> The URL was a bit messed up, this one should work better:
    >>
    >> Restore Fast User Switching (Line 34)
    >>

    > Terminal Services does now show up in the list of services, but it
    > will not start, and windows gives me error 1083 and the terminal
    > services couldn't be started. What's my next step?
    Hi,

    I see that the registry file is for WinXP SP1, and I would think you
    have SP2.

    Try this:

    Start regedit.exe

    Locate the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\

    Double click on the ImagePath value.

    Change
    netsvcs

    DComLaunch

    and then press the OK button, so the full line ends up as
    %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k DComLaunch

    Reboot computer.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hi Torgeir,

    I edited the registry so that it was as you showed in the previous post.
    After rebooting, Terminal Services were in the list of services, and was
    started. However, I am still having a problem connecting remotely. Here's
    what I have done so far:

    1. Created a new user on both machines called "Remote" (no password)
    2. Logged into each computer using these new users.
    3. From the laptop used Remote Desktop connection to try to connect to my
    HTPC named hometheater04. I used the "options" mode on RDC so that I could
    enter the username "Remote" and the domain "mshome".
    4. When I tried to connect I got the following error:

    "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    The most likely causes for this error are:
    1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
    3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection."

    As far as the 1) point, I made sure to right click on "my computer" and go
    to the remote tab and check that the remote connections was enabled, and I
    added user "Remote" to my namelist of users allowed to log on remotely.

    Do you know what I'm doing wrong now?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Marky_Mark wrote:
    >
    > > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The URL was a bit messed up, this one should work better:
    > >>
    > >> Restore Fast User Switching (Line 34)
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >>

    > > Terminal Services does now show up in the list of services, but it
    > > will not start, and windows gives me error 1083 and the terminal
    > > services couldn't be started. What's my next step?
    > Hi,
    >
    > I see that the registry file is for WinXP SP1, and I would think you
    > have SP2.
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > Start regedit.exe
    >
    > Locate the registry key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\
    >
    > Double click on the ImagePath value.
    >
    > Change
    > netsvcs

    > DComLaunch
    >
    > and then press the OK button, so the full line ends up as
    > %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k DComLaunch
    >
    > Reboot computer.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Terminal Microsoft Windows XP