Laptop for Power User & College Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvolpe89

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
1_What is your budget?
~$2000 but I am a college student so preferably as low as possible

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
16-18"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
preferrably 1080p for watching HD

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement but will be brought to college and home occasionally so it can't be a ridiculous size.

5_How much battery life do you need?
preferably a few hours but not a big issue

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not a huge gamer but I currently play The Sims 3 and some of the GTAs. would like to be able to play some good games on this machine too.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
photoshop, video editing, web surfing, email, music, movies, consuming podcasts, watching live streaming media, and major web development

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500GB+ with room for expansion. i like to have all my files with me.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I am looking at the HP Pavilion HDX 18t customized to order from HP.com
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Performance+and+entertainment&series_name=HDX18t_series

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years +
I am upgrading from an HP Pavilion dv6000t - Intel C2D 2GHz T7200, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 15" screen, Nvidia GeForce Go 7400

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
The HDX18t I customized has a Core 2 Extreme QX9300, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 18" screen 1920x1080, 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT130M blue-ray drive, bluetooth, etc.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
My current HP laptop has been very reliable so I am pretty sure I want to go with HP as the new HP HDX is compatible with alot of my accessories. Alienwares seem overpriced and Dell doesn't seem to have a deal quite like the one I found.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

A few of my own questions:
I am looking for an all around upgrade to my current HP and I am giving it to my sister. Basically, with the specs that I posted in my current machine compared to the new HDX, do you think I will see a significant improvement in what I want to do/good price and value? Also, would a C2 extreme (quad core) be appropriate processor or is it a waste of money if I don't overclock. The gfx cards they are allowing me to choose from are the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - For DDR2 Memory or for $100 more the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory. Customized the way I mentioned above it would cost $2500 shipped. I am sorry this is so much information but please give me your honest opinions.

r_manic

Administrator
Well, you'll have to live with a laptop of "ridiculous size", since you're looking for a 16-18" laptop.

In any case, what do you think of the Sager NP8662? At 15.4", it still has a generously large screen, and has all the power you're demanding. You'll have to spend a bit more than its $1500 basic price to get your 500GB hard disk, but at least you'll stay within budget.

If you do get that, be careful on campus man! You'll be the envy of many. :p

Kashus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

I just posted this under a different thread but I saw your question and think you should consider doing this on hpshopping.com... There are some good sales and online coupons for the hdx 18t right now... good luck!

THis configuration is nice!! I just ordered an HDX 18t and I have EXACTLY the same specs. The build date is the 24th so I havent used it yet. The only thing I won't get are the dual 320gb hard drives... I got one drive with 500 gb @7200rpm... Which, in my opinion, is just as good seeing as hard drive space on computers is becoming less and less relevant since there are cheaper alternatives for storage space available online. Plus I personally don't see the need for dual hard drives. But... when you add the hdtv dvr tv tuner, wireless mouse (less fingerprints), backlit keyboard (a must!), fingerprint reader+webcam (nice), portable 2.0 notebook speakers, free printer, wireless router, advanced bluetooth wireless internet card (bluetooth! :-o), 4 years lojack, 1 year manufacturer and accidental warranty and free uprade to windows 7 from windows vista 64 bit......... All for $2115 with tax included, I think I got a better deal.. Why am I gloating?! Because anyone that is looking for the ultimate multimedia desktop replacement (its huge) that you can take with you if need be should go hpshopping.com and configure a model HDX 18t like this soon because a sales rep from hp told me the free upgrades, freebies and back to school sale will be ending soon. I also searched for HDX 18t coupons online before I made the final purchase which saved me an additional $250! Altogether it said I saved 24.6 percent... I cant wait for my Canon Vixia HF20 and the HDX 18t meet.... They will undoubtedly make the most BEAUTIFUL babies!! ;-) The only backdraw I can see as to why others might not like this notebook is the size. I personally am excited about the large ultra brightview hd 18 inch display that has true (wide) hd dimensions... Like a mini HDTV that you can do anything on.... Really amazing specs for a $2000 range notebook!! But not for long, so if you got money saved for a laptop, I recommend doing it NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.