XP Home vs XP Pro

What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power? I'm
clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference in
price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
16 answers Last reply
More about home

    You might want to take a look at this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    Generaly the difference is only that Pro has a few more networking features
    that are used fro computers to connect to a Microsoft domain. Something not
    needed by home users.

    Ryan

    "falcala" wrote:

    > What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power? I'm
    > clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference in
    > price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

    Which Edition Is Right for You?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8D9AC55E-AD85-437C-ACA6-9B94F3B3F643@microsoft.com,
    falcala <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power?
    > I'm clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the
    > difference in price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of
    > time.

    Another question.

    XP Pro vs XP MCE?

    Does MCE have the same stuff as PRO plus the media stuff?
    I want to get MCE but i still want all the Pro features.

    Thanks ahead of time.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Which Edition Is Right for You?
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    >
    > Windows XP Comparison Guide
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:8D9AC55E-AD85-437C-ACA6-9B94F3B3F643@microsoft.com,
    > falcala <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power?
    > > I'm clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the
    > > difference in price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of
    > > time.

    [[Windows XP vs Windows Media Center 2005. Windows XP Media Center is a
    superset of Windows XP Professional Edition that provides a wide range of
    features to help you use multimedia technology such as: TV Tuners, FM
    Tuners, Video Capture Devices, Digital Cameras and more. These features go
    above and beyond what was possible in Windows XP Professional to help make
    your PC a digital hub for all your multimedia needs. The key feature that
    Windows Professional Edition has that Media Center 2005 lacks is support for
    Domain Controllers. As such, we do not recommend Media Center 2005 for
    workplace environments / any where a domain controller is required. MCE 2005
    is distributed as a OEM package for system builders.]]
    http://www.directron.com/xpmedia.html

    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is available only on Media Center
    computers.

    You cannot buy the software separately.

    Top 10 Benefits of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/top10.mspx

    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005: Frequently Asked Questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8A29F0AC-CD0B-43A9-9657-11793F73C5B8@microsoft.com,
    falcala <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Another question.
    >
    > XP Pro vs XP MCE?
    >
    > Does MCE have the same stuff as PRO plus the media stuff?
    > I want to get MCE but i still want all the Pro features.
    >
    > Thanks ahead of time.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Which Edition Is Right for You?
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    >>
    >> Windows XP Comparison Guide
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:8D9AC55E-AD85-437C-ACA6-9B94F3B3F643@microsoft.com,
    >> falcala <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power?
    >>> I'm clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the
    >>> difference in price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of
    >>> time.

    Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional
    offer the same excellent performance. The only difference
    relates to a few additional features found in Windows XP Pro.

    Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    falcala wrote:
    > What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power? I'm
    > clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference in
    > price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
    comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
    application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
    functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
    different environments. The most significant differences are that
    WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
    while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
    Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
    file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
    USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hello,

    Windows XP PRO also supports EFS which is very helpful in securing files on a local machine. This
    feature is not present in Windows XP Home.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "wwwguy1" <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You might want to take a look at this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
    >
    > Generaly the difference is only that Pro has a few more networking features
    > that are used fro computers to connect to a Microsoft domain. Something not
    > needed by home users.
    >
    > Ryan
    >
    > "falcala" wrote:
    >
    >> What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power? I'm
    >> clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference in
    >> price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

    Apparently there's about 2 bytes and $150 difference between the two. MS is
    looking patching the 2 byte 'hack' difference.

    -Winux P

    "falcala" <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power?
    I'm
    | clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference
    in
    | price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

    Wrong! There is over a 55MB file difference! I see you came across,
    and fell, for a bogus web site that contributed to your inaccurate contribution.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Winux P" the Troll wrote:

    | Apparently there's about 2 bytes and $150 difference between the two. MS is
    | looking patching the 2 byte 'hack' difference.
    |
    | -Winux P

    The key feature that
    Windows Professional Edition has that Media Center 2005 lacks is support for
    Domain Controllers

    Can you explain that a little more? What exactly is that and what exactly
    does it do? Sorry I've been asking silly questions. Thanks again.

    "Winux P" wrote:

    > Apparently there's about 2 bytes and $150 difference between the two. MS is
    > looking patching the 2 byte 'hack' difference.
    >
    > -Winux P
    >
    > "falcala" <falcala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | What is the difference between the programs? More programs, more power?
    > I'm
    > | clueless about computers so any help letting me know what the difference
    > in
    > | price is for would be really appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

    I knew that sCary Freak, I just wanted to see if you knew. The information
    came from a PC publication here. Good to see your on your toes, good boy.

    - Winux P

    | Wrong! There is over a 55MB file difference! I see you came across,
    | and fell, for a bogus web site that contributed to your inaccurate
    contribution.

    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    | Microsoft Newsgroups
    |
    | Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    |
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "Winux P" the Troll wrote:
    |
    || Apparently there's about 2 bytes and $150 difference between the two. MS
    is
    || looking patching the 2 byte 'hack' difference.
    || -Winux P

    You would have better luck collecting an "inheritance"
    from Nigeria than converting XP Home to XP Pro in
    "2 bytes".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Winux P" wrote:

    | I knew that Carey Frisch [MVP], I just wanted to see if you knew. The information
    | came from a PC publication here. Good to see your on your toes, good boy.
    |
    | - Winux P

    "wwwguy1" <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You might want to take a look at this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
    >
    > Generaly the difference is only that Pro has a few more networking
    > features
    > that are used fro computers to connect to a Microsoft domain. Something
    > not
    > needed by home users.

    Remote Desktop is a cool feature. In winter I can sit by the fire with my
    laptop and work on my desktop which is in another (cold) room. :-)
    grol

    ?

    - Winux P

    "sCarey Freak [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    | You would have better luck collecting an "inheritance"
    | from Nigeria than converting XP Home to XP Pro in
    | "2 bytes".
    |
    | --
    | sCarey Freak
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Smell/User
    | Microsoft Newsgroups
    |
    | Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    |
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "Winux P" wrote:
    |
    || I knew that Carey Frisch [MVP], I just wanted to see if you knew. The
    information
    || came from a PC publication here. Good to see your on your toes, good boy.
    || - Winux P

    [[A recent variation of the scam directed primarily at charitable
    organisations and religious bodies overseas involves bogus inheritance under
    a will.]]
    Nigerian Scam
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp

    West African Scam / Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud in Internet Web Mail Frauds
    and Email Letter Scams
    http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Business/nigerian.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O9iXmZDiFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Winux P <winuxp@msnews.grp> hunted and pecked:
    > ?
    >
    > - Winux P
    >
    > "sCarey Freak [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You would have better luck collecting an "inheritance"
    >> from Nigeria than converting XP Home to XP Pro in
    >> "2 bytes".
    >>
    >> --
    >> sCarey Freak
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Smell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    ------------------

    >> "Winux P" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I knew that Carey Frisch [MVP], I just wanted to see if you knew. The
    >>> information came from a PC publication here. Good to see your on your
    >>> toes, good boy.
    >>>
    >>> - Winux P

    I see, sCarey Freak's been burnt before, anyone would think he's trying to
    be funny.

    Thanks Wes.

    - Winux P

    > [[A recent variation of the scam directed primarily at charitable
    > organisations and religious bodies overseas involves bogus inheritance
    > under
    > a will.]]
    > Nigerian Scam
    > http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp
    >
    > West African Scam / Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud in Internet Web Mail Frauds
    > and Email Letter Scams
    > http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Business/nigerian.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:O9iXmZDiFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Winux P <winuxp@msnews.grp> hunted and pecked:
    >> ?
    >>
    >> - Winux P
    >>
    >> "sCarey Freak [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> You would have better luck collecting an "inheritance"
    >>> from Nigeria than converting XP Home to XP Pro in
    >>> "2 bytes".
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> sCarey Freak
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP - Smell/User
    >>> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>>
    >>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

Microsoft Windows XP Product