How to change XP CD burning stage location for all users??

Hi,
I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
"C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
drive for all the users who use this burning station.
Here is what I did:
1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
3. edit following sting value:
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
to D:\CDBurning
4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
transfered to the new profile.

However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
burning feature.

The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about change burning stage location users

    TweakUI can perform this task:

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

    After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    TweakUI. Expand "My Computer" and click on "Special Folders".
    You can easily change the location of the folder there.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mark Man" wrote:

    | Hi,
    | I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
    | "C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
    | drive for all the users who use this burning station.
    | Here is what I did:
    | 1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
    | 2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
    | 3. edit following sting value:
    | Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
    | to D:\CDBurning
    | 4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
    | 5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
    | transfered to the new profile.
    |
    | However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
    | burning feature.
    |
    | The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
    | customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
    | how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
    | Thanks.

    Dear MVPs,
    Thank you for reply.
    What TweakUI did is change the registry value for current user. Very much
    the same thing I did manually. I want to change the setting for ALL USERS -
    whoever logs on the machine, the CD Burning folder will be pointing to the
    same location for everyone.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > TweakUI can perform this task:
    >
    > Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)
    >
    > After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    > TweakUI. Expand "My Computer" and click on "Special Folders".
    > You can easily change the location of the folder there.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Mark Man" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi,
    > | I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
    > | "C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
    > | drive for all the users who use this burning station.
    > | Here is what I did:
    > | 1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
    > | 2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
    > | 3. edit following sting value:
    > | Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
    > | to D:\CDBurning
    > | 4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
    > | 5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
    > | transfered to the new profile.
    > |
    > | However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
    > | burning feature.
    > |
    > | The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
    > | customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
    > | how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
    > | Thanks.

    Hi Mark,

    You can easily change the location of the temporary directory which is used to cache files during
    the CD burning process through TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to My Computer>Special folders and
    select 'CD burning' from the drop-down list and click on 'change location'. Enter the new location
    of the directory and OK your way out.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mark Man" <MarkMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
    > "C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
    > drive for all the users who use this burning station.
    > Here is what I did:
    > 1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
    > 2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
    > 3. edit following sting value:
    > Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
    > to D:\CDBurning
    > 4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
    > 5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
    > transfered to the new profile.
    >
    > However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
    > burning feature.
    >
    > The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
    > customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
    > how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
    > Thanks.

Default Windows XP Burner Microsoft CD-Rom