How to change XP CD burning stage location for all users??

July 13, 2005 9:04:02 PM

Hi,
I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
"C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
drive for all the users who use this burning station.
Here is what I did:
1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
3. edit following sting value:
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
to D:\CDBurning
4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
transfered to the new profile.

However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
burning feature.

The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
Thanks.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:17:47 PM

TweakUI can perform this task:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
TweakUI. Expand "My Computer" and click on "Special Folders".
You can easily change the location of the folder there.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark Man" wrote:

| Hi,
| I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
| "C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
| drive for all the users who use this burning station.
| Here is what I did:
| 1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
| 2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
| 3. edit following sting value:
| Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
| to D:\CDBurning
| 4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
| 5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
| transfered to the new profile.
|
| However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
| burning feature.
|
| The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
| customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
| how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
| Thanks.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:18:01 PM

Dear MVPs,
Thank you for reply.
What TweakUI did is change the registry value for current user. Very much
the same thing I did manually. I want to change the setting for ALL USERS -
whoever logs on the machine, the CD Burning folder will be pointing to the
same location for everyone.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> TweakUI can perform this task:
>
> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
> TweakUI. Expand "My Computer" and click on "Special Folders".
> You can easily change the location of the folder there.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mark Man" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | I need to change default XP CD burning stage location from
> | "C:\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning" to D
> | drive for all the users who use this burning station.
> | Here is what I did:
> | 1. Created a folder D:\CDBurning and BACKED UP Registry.
> | 2. Open Regedit, load Default User\NTUSER.DAT to Registry Editor,
> | 3. edit following sting value:
> | Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning
> | to D:\CDBurning
> | 4. Unload the NTUSER.DAT back to Default User
> | 5. Log on as new user to the computer and expect the reg key I modified
> | transfered to the new profile.
> |
> | However, the above key only has blank value and I can't use XP built-in
> | burning feature.
> |
> | The above procedure worked for me on many cases which I need to have a
> | customized default user profile. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and
> | how to transfer the CD Burning value to default user?
> | Thanks.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:12:37 AM

Hi Mark,

You can easily change the location of the temporary directory which is used to cache files during
the CD burning process through TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to My Computer>Special folders and
select 'CD burning' from the drop-down list and click on 'change location'. Enter the new location
of the directory and OK your way out.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User