search companion has taken over my computer

When I left click on any folder, the search companion opens instead of the
file or folder. Allso search companion has installed itself in the right
click menue on the top line.

This is all a very great pain, can anyone help.
3 answers Last reply
More about search companion computer

    Hi,

    A common problem with an easy fix found here:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    Courtesy MVP Doug Knox.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jorgen Rasmussen" <jorgen.rasmussen@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > When I left click on any folder, the search companion opens instead of the
    > file or folder. Allso search companion has installed itself in the right
    > click menue on the top line.
    >
    > This is all a very great pain, can anyone help.

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Download, install, update and run all of the following.
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > Spybot search and destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it, save
    > a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    > it can be analyzed.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    That's not needed for his problem. It's not malware.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Computers Microsoft Windows XP