Sign in with
Your question

Resetting laptop BIOS password

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2004 7:06:58 PM

What's the best and most cost effective way (preferably free) to reset my Compaq Presario 2500 BIOS password? It's a laptop and my BIOS is Phoenix v4 release 6.
December 25, 2004 10:57:58 PM

If you cannot remember the old password then you will prob have to open up the laptop and use the clear CMOS jumper/take out the battery.
January 10, 2005 8:27:03 PM

That is, if there is a jumper. If not, remove the battery from the board. Would flashing the BIOS, erase the password?
Related resources
January 11, 2005 2:26:55 PM

They often have backdoor passwords into BIOSes.

I have a fairly old document that says the Phoenix ones are:
<b>phoenix</b>; <b>PHOENIX</b>; <b>BIOS</b>; <b>CMOS</b>
But it is rather old...

It also lists a way of using DOS's DEBUG.EXE to trash the CMOS, thus clearing the password (coincidentally, I actually had to do this earlier to a PC a customer had sent in.), but for that you need DOS (Or presumably 9X in DOS mode). I doubt it would work with XP/2000 (Which I assume you are using)

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
January 23, 2005 1:36:19 PM

on older at style MBs the jumper to clear the password was J1 just move it to J2 and turn it on and the password is gone. then put it back

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.
March 2, 2005 5:29:32 PM

Thank goodnes for you that it's not an IBM!
March 8, 2005 11:25:03 PM

I'd tell you, but it'll cost you a dollar.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
March 8, 2005 11:31:21 PM

We can drop the subject now... I sold the laptop long ago.
June 5, 2009 10:38:23 PM

sobelizard said:

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

Chas90381@yahoo.ca HP ze5185 Phoenix Bios 4.0 6.0.

Can you help?
July 2, 2009 11:53:16 PM

Ok! The hash Code is 00835.
July 20, 2010 6:50:34 PM

sobelizard said:

Hi, I will pay you a dollar for the information on clearing a password on ze5300 laptop windows xp...
!