Uninstalling MS Java Virtual Machine Program

July 14, 2005 12:20:57 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun J2SE
ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
Sam.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:28:48 AM

How do I uninstall Microsoft Virtual Machine?
http://java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sam" wrote:

| I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun J2SE
| ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
| better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
| update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
| Sam.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:03:05 AM

Did Windows or Automatic Update offer you MS05-037 (903235)?

Do you even have Microsoft Java Virtual Machine installed? (Probably not,
if WinXP SP2 came preinstalled on the machine.)

See http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_9.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Sam wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
> J2SE ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might
> be better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
> update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks, Sam.
July 14, 2005 5:40:15 AM

Sun/Java implementations get a thumbs down in my book.
Here we keep and update/patch MS - I use sun, but at every update, I'm back
to MS while arguing with suns newest changes. Little appliances and
embedded op systems that rely on java output don't always like the new
until firmware is available, MS works.

"Sam" <scams@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
>J2SE ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might
>be better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
>update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
>Thanks, Sam.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:07:19 PM

I doubt you even have it. A good way to tell is to go to Start | Run |
regsvr32 msjava.dll | OK. If you get an error you don't have it.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Sam" <scams@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
J2SE
> ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
> better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
> update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
> Sam.

July 14, 2005 10:44:48 PM

Thanks very much for your replies. Sorry that I did not give you more
information. I do have MS JVM installed on my computer (the last updated
version offered by MS, which I installed when it was offered). The reason
for me thinking about uninstalling MS JVM instead of using the MS05-037
security patch, is because maybe there will be another security deficiency
in this program in the near future (my concern is that this program is
basically in a static state by MS and so any reaction by MS for security
considerations will be reactive instead of proactive).

Based on my Goggle search, it appears that I should uninstall the Sun Java
program first before uninstalling the MS JVM program. So maybe the chance
for a current potential problem in wanting to uninstall the MS JVM, is
greater than the potential benefit in trying to anticipate/prevent future
potential security problems. Thanks again, Sam.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:39:15 AM

"If it ain't broke..."
--