Uninstalling MS Java Virtual Machine Program

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun J2SE
ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
Sam.
6 answers Last reply
More about uninstalling java virtual machine program

    How do I uninstall Microsoft Virtual Machine?
    http://java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sam" wrote:

    | I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun J2SE
    | ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
    | better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
    | update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
    | Sam.

    Did Windows or Automatic Update offer you MS05-037 (903235)?

    Do you even have Microsoft Java Virtual Machine installed? (Probably not,
    if WinXP SP2 came preinstalled on the machine.)

    See http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_9.htm
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Sam wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
    > J2SE ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might
    > be better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
    > update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
    > Thanks, Sam.

    Sun/Java implementations get a thumbs down in my book.
    Here we keep and update/patch MS - I use sun, but at every update, I'm back
    to MS while arguing with suns newest changes. Little appliances and
    embedded op systems that rely on java output don't always like the new
    until firmware is available, MS works.

    "Sam" <scams@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
    >J2SE ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might
    >be better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
    >update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
    >Thanks, Sam.

    I doubt you even have it. A good way to tell is to go to Start | Run |
    regsvr32 msjava.dll | OK. If you get an error you don't have it.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Sam" <scams@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro (SP2) and Sun
    J2SE
    > ver 5.0 installed. After reviewing MS05-037, I am thinking it might be
    > better to uninstall the MS JVM program (listed as a workaround in the
    > update). Any comments and cautions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    > Sam.

    Thanks very much for your replies. Sorry that I did not give you more
    information. I do have MS JVM installed on my computer (the last updated
    version offered by MS, which I installed when it was offered). The reason
    for me thinking about uninstalling MS JVM instead of using the MS05-037
    security patch, is because maybe there will be another security deficiency
    in this program in the near future (my concern is that this program is
    basically in a static state by MS and so any reaction by MS for security
    considerations will be reactive instead of proactive).

    Based on my Goggle search, it appears that I should uninstall the Sun Java
    program first before uninstalling the MS JVM program. So maybe the chance
    for a current potential problem in wanting to uninstall the MS JVM, is
    greater than the potential benefit in trying to anticipate/prevent future
    potential security problems. Thanks again, Sam.

    "If it ain't broke..."
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Sam wrote:
    > Thanks very much for your replies. Sorry that I did not give you more
    > information. I do have MS JVM installed on my computer (the last updated
    > version offered by MS, which I installed when it was offered). The reason
    > for me thinking about uninstalling MS JVM instead of using the MS05-037
    > security patch, is because maybe there will be another security deficiency
    > in this program in the near future (my concern is that this program is
    > basically in a static state by MS and so any reaction by MS for security
    > considerations will be reactive instead of proactive).
    >
    > Based on my Goggle search, it appears that I should uninstall the Sun Java
    > program first before uninstalling the MS JVM program. So maybe the chance
    > for a current potential problem in wanting to uninstall the MS JVM, is
    > greater than the potential benefit in trying to anticipate/prevent future
    > potential security problems. Thanks again, Sam.

Virtual Machine Java Windows XP