Floppy disk says not formatted...HELP!

Hi everyone,
I keep having a problem with my floppy disks. I put an IBM formatted disk
into my computer at work and transfer files from my computer onto the disk.
No problem. When I get home and put the disk into my computer at home it
won't let me open the disk, it says this disk is not formatted or is a
MacIntosh disk. When I check the disk drive my computer tells me it is
working properly. Both computers use windows XP. I am at a total loss here.
Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about floppy disk formatted help

    You could try cleaning the FDD (floppy disk drive) heads with a
    cleaning disk but most probably the problem is that not all FDDs heads
    are aligned exactly the same so one drive could be reading and writing
    to the extreme left of the track whilst the is reading and writing to
    the extreme right of the track. The only way to fix this is to try
    other FDDs util you find two that are compatible.

    Have you considered using a CDRW or USB pen drive to transfer your
    files. CD writers are not expensive nor are USB sticks or PCI USB cards.

    Russell, Debbie, Brett & Jenna Rose wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I keep having a problem with my floppy disks. I put an IBM formatted disk
    > into my computer at work and transfer files from my computer onto the disk.
    > No problem. When I get home and put the disk into my computer at home it
    > won't let me open the disk, it says this disk is not formatted or is a
    > MacIntosh disk. When I check the disk drive my computer tells me it is
    > working properly. Both computers use windows XP. I am at a total loss here.
    > Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

    There are possible variations in the floppy diskette drives
    between the computer at work and the one at home. Windows XP
    (like its predecessors, Windows 2000 and Windows NT) is quite
    sensitive to such variations. The better alternative has been
    to move away from components with moving parts, such as using
    an USB pen or jump drive for transferring/moving files around.
    (Moreover, the tolerances for floppy diskettes and drives have
    become quite sloppy, of late.)

    Russell, Debbie, Brett & Jenna Rose wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I keep having a problem with my floppy disks. I put an IBM formatted disk
    > into my computer at work and transfer files from my computer onto the disk.
    > No problem. When I get home and put the disk into my computer at home it
    > won't let me open the disk, it says this disk is not formatted or is a
    > MacIntosh disk. When I check the disk drive my computer tells me it is
    > working properly. Both computers use windows XP. I am at a total loss here.
    > Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

    Try formatting the disk on the home computer, then copy the files to it
    on the work computer.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I have found that XP has a lot of problems with floppy disc.
    I just kinda mover away from them to cd or jump drive.

    --
    Carl G
    "Russell, Debbie, Brett & Jenna Rose" <rdbjrose@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    > I keep having a problem with my floppy disks. I put an IBM formatted disk
    > into my computer at work and transfer files from my computer onto the
    > disk. No problem. When I get home and put the disk into my computer at
    > home it won't let me open the disk, it says this disk is not formatted or
    > is a MacIntosh disk. When I check the disk drive my computer tells me it
    > is working properly. Both computers use windows XP. I am at a total loss
    > here. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

    Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    [[Windows XP supports formatting only the 1.44MB disk format. Three-mode
    floppy drives (drives that are capable of reading/writing with 720KB, 1.2MB
    and 1.44MB 3.5" disks) requires special driver support, and support for this
    feature is not included in Windows XP.]]
    Floppy Disk Formats That Are Supported in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309623

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0hjBe.107757$HI.88361@edtnps84,
    Russell, Debbie, Brett & Jenna Rose <rdbjrose@telus.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I keep having a problem with my floppy disks. I put an IBM formatted disk
    > into my computer at work and transfer files from my computer onto the
    > disk. No problem. When I get home and put the disk into my computer at
    > home it won't let me open the disk, it says this disk is not formatted or
    > is a MacIntosh disk. When I check the disk drive my computer tells me it
    > is working properly. Both computers use windows XP. I am at a total loss
    > here. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks.

Floppy Disk Computers Windows XP