Is this MJ news group dead?

Dee

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Just noticed that in the past two months, there has been no
significant posting to the MJ news group. So is interest in MJ
waning? Or have we discussed ALL the topics relating to MJ and there
is nothing left to talk about? Your thoughts?

Dee wrote:
> Just noticed that in the past two months, there has been no
> significant posting to the MJ news group. So is interest in MJ
> waning? Or have we discussed ALL the topics relating to MJ and there
> is nothing left to talk about? Your thoughts?

Hmm. Nope. I can't think of anything.

Kidding. :)

Okay. See my next message.

--
J. R. Fitch
Nine Dragons Software

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

> Dee wrote:
>> [...] So is interest in MJ
>> waning? Or have we discussed ALL the topics relating to MJ and there
>> is nothing left to talk about?

After careful thinking, I believe the answers to these questions could well
be YES, IF the games of mahjong remain in the "traditional form", that is,
games that are basically played by small groups of people within their close
proximity. If you were familiar with Fujian style only would you be
interested in discussing topics about American mahjong? Likewise, how likely
would you raise any question about Philippine MJ in the open forum when you
know that most people here are not interested?

>> Your thoughts?

I used to have many ideas (topics for discussion) about issues related to a
world unified mahjong game, but always ran into risks of being accused of
brand promotion. In fact, a world unified mahjong game could be in any brand
name, or in many brand names. Many issues related to game improvements can,
and should, always be raised and discussed in the newsgroup, without the
need of being linked to any brand name or any specific game style (Example:
XXMJ has this xyz rule. Is this a good rule or should it be modified, and
how?). If anyone would raise questions of this type, I am very interested in
participating.

Few days ago I visited the forum on Martin's site
(http://www.mahjongnews.com/phorum/list.php?f=1) and found some questions of
interest. I consider they are all related to the improvement of game play of
mahjong, irrelevant to the style or brand name of game. Some questions
include: "When can you claim a concealed kong?", "Two players claiming
Mahjong at the same time, who wins?", etc.

So, who would like to raise a question first?

Cofa Tsui

www.iMahjong.com