I get error 1406 whenever I try to install Symantec Antivirus 10.0.359 or ATI
Catalyst 5.6 on my brother's computer.

Error 1406.Could not write value xxx to key
\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Verify that you have
sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Where xxx is ATICCC or ccApp.

He's running Windows XP Pro SP2 and is logged in under an administrator
account.

I've uninstalled the previous antivirus (Symantec 9.0.3.1000), the firewall
(Zonealarm 5.5.094.0000), and MS Antispyware 1.0.614. I've updated windows
installer to 3.1 v2. I ran regedt32 and gave "Everyone" full control
permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Is there anything else to try before reinstalling windows?

"feanor512" wrote:

> I get error 1406 whenever I try to install Symantec Antivirus 10.0.359 or ATI
> Catalyst 5.6 on my brother's computer.
>
> Error 1406.Could not write value xxx to key
> \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Verify that you have
> sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
>
> Where xxx is ATICCC or ccApp.
>
> He's running Windows XP Pro SP2 and is logged in under an administrator
> account.
>
> I've uninstalled the previous antivirus (Symantec 9.0.3.1000), the firewall
> (Zonealarm 5.5.094.0000), and MS Antispyware 1.0.614. I've updated windows
> installer to 3.1 v2. I ran regedt32 and gave "Everyone" full control
> permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
>
> Is there anything else to try before reinstalling windows?

Actually all registry edits revert back after rebooting. The full control
checkbox is unchecked after a reboot. And I've run msconfig to disable some
of the junk at startup, but none of it is disabled after reboot.

http://tinyurl.com/bftdc

more information:-
http://tinyurl.com/czvzd

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"feanor512" wrote:

> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
> > http://tinyurl.com/bftdc
> >
> > more information:-
> > http://tinyurl.com/czvzd
> >
> > regards,
> > ssg MS-MVP
>
> I already did everything at that Symantec link and I've checked out the
> first 50 or so results on google.

I got it. Manually uninstalling Zonealarm gave me registry access.