MN-730 Problems

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have a MN-700 base station that works just fine with my
Laptop using a MN-720 wireless G card. No problems there.

I've tried to install a wireless PCI card (MN-730) on my
other desktop, and here comes the problem.

I have security disabled on my base station.
When I install the Broadband Network Utility and go to
configure the PCI adapter I get "Network & Internet
Unavailable". BUT, on the select network screen, I can
see that both of my wireless base station and that they
have a very stong to excellant signal (one is on channel
6 and the other on channel 10).

Both network icons on the tast tray show connection rates
of 54Mbps and excellant signals.

When I try to select either station, I get the following
error "The network WEP in not valid for the selected
Network". I have all of my security turned off on both
base stations.

I've uninstalled the software and the PCI card several
times without any change in setup.

I've even changed out the standard 4" antenna to a
directional 6db high gain antenna (has improved the
signal) but still get the above error.

Since I cannot connect, I cannot do much else.

I've downloaded the latest firmware/drivers also.

Any Suggestions, before thinking about replacing this
with a different card?

Thank,
Rick

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

hi,
incorrect wep key is something common issue which we face
in wireless g adapter.
before getting to final conclusion i.e. replacement try
this step
1) Check for ip address it will show u 169.254.x.x
try to release and renew the ip address when u renew
the ip address there would 2 possiblities
i) Winsock error : if it winsock error then it means
that TCP/Ip Stack got corrupted u have to delete winsock
folder and reinstall tcp/ip and ur issue get resolved
ii) DHCP Request timed out : Which means that it's not
recognizing the signal, Check for wireless interference
and distance
2) If everything seems to be fine that is there is no
wireless interference and winsock error then rigt click
my computer=> Hardware => Device Manger => View Show
Hidden device then click on plus sign of network adapter
and uninstall wirelss Adapter MN-730 and uninstall
software, restart the computer and reinstall it back
hope this should work
Rgds,
Steve

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Ok, I went to the DOS prompt and tried to renew and
release my IP address and got the following error: "An
error ocurred while renewing interface Wireless Network
Connection: An operation was attempted on something that
is not a socket"

I also tried to use the repair connection option and got
this: " The following steps of the repair operation
failed: Renewing the IP address"

Any Suggestions now?

Enable Windows Zero Configuration on the 730. Make sure
router and 730 are on same channel. Make sure your SSID is
unique and add it to the list of preferred networks (same
SSID in all wifi cards and router -- SSID broadcasts enabled).

Assign a static IP to the 730. Go to TCP/IP and set IP to
192.168.2.2, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway
192.168.2.1. Go to the router and change the DHCP start
range to 192.168.2.3

Disable the WEP key on router and 730 and make sure it's
working. Once everything's working add back WEP -- make
sure it's same key, type, and key length.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

hi steve again,
when it is it's not a socket then possibly it's winsock
error

try this step
download, and ran the LSPFIX utility from:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

(utility also attached to this SO)
try this web site in the main computer u will see
download click on that and save it in ur floppy disk and
run in the the computer where u have winsock error

and after running the utility and clicking the 'Finish'
button, customer rebooted
computer and was able to get IP address from DHCP server,
allowing all internet
connectivity to be restored.

joker

Since you mentioned there is a network in channel number 10 will cause
interfere with channels 11-6 & channel number 6 will cause interfere
with channels 2-10 thus also causing a problem for you. If you are the
one using 10 change it to 11 or if you are using 6 change it to
something lower (at least 5).

Rick wrote:

> I have a MN-700 base station that works just fine with my
> Laptop using a MN-720 wireless G card. No problems there.
>
> I've tried to install a wireless PCI card (MN-730) on my
> other desktop, and here comes the problem.
>
> I have security disabled on my base station.
> When I install the Broadband Network Utility and go to
> configure the PCI adapter I get "Network & Internet
> Unavailable". BUT, on the select network screen, I can
> see that both of my wireless base station and that they
> have a very stong to excellant signal (one is on channel
> 6 and the other on channel 10).
>
> Both network icons on the tast tray show connection rates
> of 54Mbps and excellant signals.
>
> When I try to select either station, I get the following
> error "The network WEP in not valid for the selected
> Network". I have all of my security turned off on both
> base stations.
>
> I've uninstalled the software and the PCI card several
> times without any change in setup.
>
> I've even changed out the standard 4" antenna to a
> directional 6db high gain antenna (has improved the
> signal) but still get the above error.
>
> Since I cannot connect, I cannot do much else.
>
> I've downloaded the latest firmware/drivers also.
>
> Any Suggestions, before thinking about replacing this
> with a different card?
>
> Thank,
> Rick

Well, guess that I am one step closer to getting there
with your help, but not there completely yet.

I now have wireless acess to my MN-700 base station from
my wireless desktop from the changes that you suggest
below, but I an still not able to acess the internet.
The Microsoft Broadband Utility is showing an "X" between
the Workgroup and Internet Connections, with the comment
of not being able to access the internet, and the little
taskbar monitor is red. (I was able to acess it with my B
router before this upgrade to a G router). I use IE 6.0
and have double checked my settings for it. My MS
firewire is turned off.

I'am almost there, so please don't give up on me yet.

Thanks,
RIck

Ran the software and it listed the 4 following in the
Keep side: mswsock.dll, winmr.dll, CSLSP.DLL, rsupsp.dll
But, nothing listed on the remove side.
Did not fix the problem.

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause
serious problems that may require you to reinstall your
operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can
solve problems that result from using Registry Editor
incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
Use Registry Editor to export and delete the Winsock and
Winsock2 registry subkeys, and then remove and reinstall
TCP/IP on Windows 2000, or reinstall TCP/IP on Windows
XP.
Export and Delete the Corrupted Registry Subkeys
Insert a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive of the
computer whose registry entries you are exporting.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK.
Locate and click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winso
ck

On the File menu, click Export. In the Save in box, click
3½ Floppy (A:), type a name for the file in the File name
box, and then click Save.
Right-click Winsock, and then click Delete. When you are
prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Repeat steps 3 through 5 for the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winso
ck2

Note Each .reg file that you save must have a different
name.
Right-click Winsock2, click Delete, and then click Yes.
Restart the computer.

Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock
and Winsock2 registry subkeys.
Reinstall TCP/IP on a Windows XP Computer
In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of
the operating system; therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP
in Windows XP.
Install TCP/IP on top of itself:
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-
click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type the path of the Nettcpip.inf file, and then click
OK. Typically, the Nettcpip.inf file is in the
C:\Windows\Inf folder.
In the list of available protocols, click Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Restart the computer.

Now, you need to focus of the WAN screen of the router. If
you have the B router around (MN-500?) turn it back on and
check the settings on the WAN screen. Also write down its
MAC address -- we are going to swap the MN-700 and MN-500
MAC addresses since some ISPs memorize the MAC address.

settings. Write down the MAC address of the MN-700 (for the
MN-500). Use the original MN-500 MAC address and clone into
the MN-700. You should be online (you may need to power
cycle the modem, or not).

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Thank God! That did it. It works!

Thanks for the wonderful help and patience. You did a
great job helping me. I was about to give up.

Thanks,
Rick

Karim

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

wondering if you still have your mn-730 cd .. if so would
you be able to send me the drivers becuse MS refuses to
post this driver online...makes no sense....

please help..thanks

karim_abraham@hotmail.com

Latest posts