Can't make folder private

July 14, 2005 1:40:09 AM

hello,

i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open the
properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed out.
i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.

is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
folder?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

More about : make folder private

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:40:10 AM

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
in Windows XP
(by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dr. Indera" wrote:

| hello,
|
| i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open the
| properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed out.
| i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
|
| is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
| folder?
|
| any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| thank you.
| --
| Indera
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:33:02 AM

hi carey,

could the problem be that the c drive is set to share with C$ in the share
name field?

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

:
: You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286
:
: CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
: in Windows XP
: (by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
: http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
:
: --
: Carey Frisch
: Microsoft MVP
: Windows XP - Shell/User
: Microsoft Newsgroups
:
: Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
:
: "Dr. Indera" wrote:
:
: | hello,
: |
: | i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open
the
: | properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed
out.
: | i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
: |
: | is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
: | folder?
: |
: | any help would be greatly appreciated.
: |
: | thank you.
: | --
: | Indera
:
July 14, 2005 12:30:06 PM

You have to be using NTFS for your file system.

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307286

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Dr. Indera wrote:

> hello,
>
> i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open the
> properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed out.
> i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
>
> is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
> folder?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thank you.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:30:07 PM

hello,

my file system is ntfs.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
: You have to be using NTFS for your file system.
:
: You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307286
:
: regards,
: ssg MS-MVP
:
: Dr. Indera wrote:
:
: > hello,
: >
: > i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open
the
: > properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed
out.
: > i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
: >
: > is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
: > folder?
: >
: > any help would be greatly appreciated.
: >
: > thank you.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:55:01 PM

SYMPTOMS
You may be unable to select the Make this folder private option on the
Sharing tab in the properties for a folder. The option may be unavailable.

CAUSE
This issue can occur for either of the following reasons:

The folder is not in your user profile (Drive_letter:\Documents and
Settings\User_name, where Drive_letter is the drive on which Windows XP is
installed and User_name is your user name). The Make this folder private
option is available only for files in your user profile (the My Documents
folder and its subfolders, and the Cookies, Desktop, Start Menu, or
Favorites folders).

See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307286
©2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

See also: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open
> the
> properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed
> out.
> i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
>
> is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
> folder?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:14:16 PM

Hi Ramesh,
He has NTFS Platform,I also suggested him the same KB Article.
regards,
ssg MS-MVP

> SYMPTOMS
> You may be unable to select the Make this folder private option on the
> Sharing tab in the properties for a folder. The option may be unavailable.
>
> CAUSE
> This issue can occur for either of the following reasons:
>
> The folder is not in your user profile (Drive_letter:\Documents and
> Settings\User_name, where Drive_letter is the drive on which Windows XP is
> installed and User_name is your user name). The Make this folder private
> option is available only for files in your user profile (the My Documents
> folder and its subfolders, and the Cookies, Desktop, Start Menu, or
> Favorites folders).
>
> See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307286
> ©2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> See also: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
>> hello,
>>
>> i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open
>> the
>> properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed
>> out.
>> i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
>>
>> is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
>> folder?
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> thank you.
>> --
>> Indera
>> * * * * * * * * * *
>> Don't just live life.
>> Live life well.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:01:12 AM

Hi Sengupta,

Yes, I see that from the original question posted by Dr. Indera. I posted
the MS-KB as it talks about another possibility for this problem.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Hi Ramesh,
> He has NTFS Platform,I also suggested him the same KB Article.
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> SYMPTOMS
>> You may be unable to select the Make this folder private option on the
>> Sharing tab in the properties for a folder. The option may be
>> unavailable.
>>
>> CAUSE
>> This issue can occur for either of the following reasons:
>>
>> The folder is not in your user profile (Drive_letter:\Documents and
>> Settings\User_name, where Drive_letter is the drive on which Windows XP
>> is installed and User_name is your user name). The Make this folder
>> private option is available only for files in your user profile (the My
>> Documents folder and its subfolders, and the Cookies, Desktop, Start
>> Menu, or Favorites folders).
>>
>> See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307286
>> ©2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> See also: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i open
>>> the
>>> properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is dimmed
>>> out.
>>> i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
>>>
>>> is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
>>> folder?
>>>
>>> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> thank you.
>>> --
>>> Indera
>>> * * * * * * * * * *
>>> Don't just live life.
>>> Live life well.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:20:25 AM

hi ramesh,

i read both of the links that you suggested. thank you.
i get the feeling that the make folder private option is only for folders
under documents and settings, which doesn't make sense to me, but maybe i'm
missing something.
is it possible to make a folder like this private c:\inderam\?

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
:
July 18, 2005 4:56:47 AM

Haven't seen you around for a great while. :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
news:o VEAke0iFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> :
> :
> : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> : news:%23QZh3TBiFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : > hello,
> : >
> : > i created a folder on my laptop and want to make it private. when i
> open
> : > the
> : > properties dialog box for the folder, the make private option is
> dimmed
> : > out.
> : > i have xp sp1 and my account has admin rights. the drive is ntfs.
> : >
> : > is there a way for me to give my account full rights to every file and
> : > folder?
> : >
> : > any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:33:03 PM

>> is it possible to make a folder like this private c:\inderam\?

The "Make the folder private" option won't appear in that case. However you
can assign the permissions manually.

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP:

!