Ok, help =/

eoj17

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Alrighty, so I just built a new computer. Didn't totally think things through before however. I bought a new hard drive, and I was going to pull all the files I wanted to keep off of my old drive. So yea, everything worked out fine, until I tried to open the folder that contains the items that were on my desktop. I guess I must have made the folder private in the past. This wouldn't be a problem, but with all of the new hardware in my computer, I can't boot from my old hard drive, just blue screens me. Please PLEASE tell me there's a way I can get access to that folder, I've got stuff in there that I've been saving for like 5 years =/

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What os are you running? It is easy in WinXP Pro, just take ownership of the files. I think you can take ownership when in safemode in WinXP Home.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

eoj17

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I can edit the permissions in safe mode, I clicked around a bit, but I didn't make any progress. How do you do it in Pro?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to disable <b>Use simple file sharing</b> in Control Panel\Performance and Maintenance\File Types on the upper left pane ( If you're using Classic style XP, it's in Control Pane\Folder Options\View).
Rigt-click the folder you want to take ownership, choose <b>Sharing and Security</b>, then <b>Advanced</b> button. On the <b>Owner</b> tab, change ownership to your account.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.