Hi:

Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?

Thanks

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
> Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
> folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?
>
> Thanks

Because whomever installed the OS specified that as the folder name.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Either you upgraded to WinXP from WinNT or Win2K or whomever installed the
OS elected to change
the default folder name.

See
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/5a1d9ae19222d7b0?hl=en
or any of the first several threads here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=%22C%3A%2Fwinnt%22+%2B+%22C%3A%2Fwindows%22&qt_g=1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
> Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
> folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?
>
> Thanks

Upgraded from Win2K

--
Peter

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message news:OOn5hpBiFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
> Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
> folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?
>
> Thanks

Because you system was upgraded from NT.

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Because you system was upgraded from NT.

I'm afraid not. WinNT cannot be upgraded to WinXP Home, only to WinXP Pro.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi:

I guess my next question after reading all the replies is as follows:

Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
directory?

Thanks for all the previous replies.

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
Hi:

Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?

Thanks

Malke

ColTom2 wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I guess my next question after reading all the replies is as
> follows:
>
> Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
> directory?
>
> Thanks for all the previous replies.

No. You would need to do a clean install. Normally this would not be an
issue at all since many machines use the WINNT directory. Are you
having some other problems with which you would like help?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

[[On a clean install, Setup creates a top-level folder called Windows. On
an upgrade, Setup uses the current path for %WinDir% - for Windows 98 or
Windows Me, that’s typically C:\Windows; for Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000,
the drive letter may vary, but the name of the system folder is usually
\Winnt. ]]

If you do an upgrade over Win 2000, which uses WINNT, then the installation
will be in WINNT.

If you have an OEM installed version (like on a Gateway) it may be in WINNT
if they used the System Preparation Tool and never changed the setup from
WINNT to WINDOWS. Or decided for whatever reason to use WINNT instead of
WINDOWS.

I know a good number of people who have bought Gateways with XP preinstalled
in C:\WINNT.

%windir% can be anything that the person doing the install, or scripting the
install, chooses.

When performing a clean install, you can specify a different folder name,
but your safest choice is to use the default name.

It makes no difference if the %windir% is WINNT or WINDOWS. Except that it
can be confusing.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eRCPtxEiFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi:
>
> I guess my next question after reading all the replies is as follows:
>
> Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
> directory?
>
> Thanks for all the previous replies.
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
> Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
> folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?
>
> Thanks

Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> pcbutts1 wrote:
> > Because you system was upgraded from NT.
> >

> I'm afraid not. WinNT cannot be upgraded to WinXP Home, only to WinXP
Pro.

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Not necessarily. I know a good number of people who have bought Gateways

In news:uurR38JiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>>> Because you system was upgraded from NT.
>>>

>> I'm afraid not. WinNT cannot be upgraded to WinXP Home, only to WinXP
>> Pro.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

No simple way. The simplest is to reinstall the Op sys.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I guess my next question after reading all the replies is as follows:
>
> Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
> directory?
>
> Thanks for all the previous replies.
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to why when I open Local Disk (C:) with
> Windows Explorer that it would indicate WINNT folder instead of WINDOWS
> folder with a Windows XP Home Edition installed?
>
> Thanks

It's a refurbished Gateway, so you are right on the target. Now that I know
I think it's the best to leave things as they are.

Thanks

George Hester wrote:
> Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?

Why? WinXP would work just as well if the installer decided to name
its folder "Fred" or "Alphonse." Granted, many poorly coded application
installation routines would tank, but Windows would run just fine.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I guess my next question after reading all the replies is as follows:
>
> Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
> directory?

The simplest way would be to reinstall the OS. Why? Does the name
"Winnt" somehow cause problems?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Those are loaded with images which could have started with NT.

> Not necessarily. I know a good number of people who have bought Gateways
> with XP preinstalled in C:\WINNT.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uurR38JiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?
>>
>> --
>> George Hester
>> _______________________________
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I'm afraid not. WinNT cannot be upgraded to WinXP Home, only to WinXP
>>> Pro.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bruce Chambers
>>>
>>> Help us help you:
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>>> both at once. - RAH

What is loaded with images which could have started with NT? Gateway
machines?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A_yBe.2306$mN1.460@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com,
pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
> Those are loaded with images which could have started with NT.

>> Not necessarily. I know a good number of people who have bought Gateways
>> with XP preinstalled in C:\WINNT.
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uurR38JiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?
>>>
>>> --
>>> George Hester
>>> _______________________________
>>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

Yes.

> What is loaded with images which could have started with NT? Gateway
> machines?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A_yBe.2306$mN1.460@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com,
> pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Those are loaded with images which could have started with NT.
>>
>> --

>>> Not necessarily. I know a good number of people who have bought
>>> Gateways
>>> with XP preinstalled in C:\WINNT.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:uurR38JiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:17:06 -0400, "ColTom2"

>Is there any simple way to change the WINNT directory back to WINDOWS
>directory?

No - not if the OS installed there is expected to work :-(

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> WinXP would work just as well if the installer decided to name
> its folder "Fred" or "Alphonse." Granted, many poorly coded
> application installation routines would tank, but Windows would run
> just fine.

Hmmm.. I think I will use that on my next install..
Rename the folder it installs to "linux".
There's got to be someone that would tee-off.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

i fall into this category.
when i bought my gateway laptop last year, it came with xp home edition and
the drive for formatted as ntfs and it had the c:\winnt folder.
i've since installed xp pro.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: Not necessarily. I know a good number of people who have bought Gateways
: with XP preinstalled in C:\WINNT.
:
:
: --
: Hope this helps. Let us know.
:
: Wes
: MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
:
: In news:uurR38JiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
: George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
: > Well there must have been WinNT 4 or 5 in there somewhere?
: >
: > --
: > George Hester
: > _______________________________
: >> pcbutts1 wrote:
: >>> Because you system was upgraded from NT.
: >>>
: >>
: >>
: >> I'm afraid not. WinNT cannot be upgraded to WinXP Home, only to WinXP
: >> Pro.
: >>
: >>
: >> --
: >>
: >> Bruce Chambers
: >>
: >> Help us help you:
: >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
: >>
: >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
: >> both at once. - RAH
:

TRENDING THREADS