Hi there guys, Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but I really need some of my questions answered.
Basically I have just bought a Samsung 245b 24" monitor and want to know if its compatible with HDTV, also I will want to watch my divx/avi/mpg via my divx dvd player (without having the PC on)
I dont want a multimedia player instead my DVD player has a USB connection which I want to hook up to my 500GB external HD and watch content straight off that without having my PC on.
1. If I were for example to plug in a Blu Ray player, or try to play PS3 using 1080p etc (with a HDMI - DVI converter so it plugs into the monitor) would my monitor display the media in true 1080p HD resolution?
Also, with the specifed conversion (HDMI-DVI) will my monitor be compatible with when everything goes to digital next year (Sky, cable etc). Surely it is as it can display resolutions higher then 1080p?
2. Now the DVD player I have bought only upscales to 720p (not 1080p) I was wondering if it was possible to watch my Divx/AVI/MPEG content at 720p, let alone 1080p? If so then I should send back my DVD player and consider one that upscales to 1080p?
3. Even if the upscalling of 1080p only applys to when playing legitimate DVD disks do you think it would still be wise to purchase one for the occasional times I watch legitimate DVDs or is it better to just wait for blu ray disks to drop in price or perhaps get a PS3? is DVD 1080p worth it if HD is just around the corner?
4. Is it possible to connect a freeview box to my monitor (HDMI - DVI again) (and no I dont want to use a freeview TV card in my PC as I want to watch TV out of my monitor without the PC on)
5. Finally, for sound (when connecting everything up to my amp) do you coaxial connections are good enough or is it better to save up for digital optical out?
Many thanks really appreicate this, really hope you can help me with this.