Did KB903235 kill anyone else's Internet connection?

This is the second time it's happened. The first was with Windows
update KB883939. Uninstalling the update fixes the problem, but
renders the system unstable. Fresh install, pretty standard
configuration. Windows updates are quickly becoming more trouble than
they are worth.

No NIC updates, only change from a well-functioning system was an
automatic middle-of-the-night Windows Update. Another symptom that
I've experienced both times has been that when you log on to the
computer it is in Windows Classic theme briefly before it automatically
reverts to the XP theme. Very odd, I've never even tinkered with the
theme settings. Same thing has happened now with both updates I
referenced. I noticed that another user in a recent post had the theme
issue after what I presume was KB903235 from the timing of it ("i need
help with windows task bar and start menu," July 13, same group), but
he didn't say he lost his Internet connection. Sounds like there's
something wrong and it isn't just affecting me, but it sure doesn't
seem to be widespread. Strange. I wish I knew what was causing it and
where the conflict is. If it was as simple as replacing the NIC I'd
gladly do it but I don't understand why a Windows Update would kill my
NIC driver. I have a retail release of XP SP2, pretty standard stuff.
There'd be a whole lot more posts in this thread if everyone with the
same version had this problem. Thus, I'm guess it must be a pretty
random bug. Right now it looks like I'll do another fresh install and
turn Windows Update off when I get back online. I don't like it but I
don't seem to have much choice, I don't feel like doing this a third
time.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

nosuede@hotmail.com wrote:

> No NIC updates, only change from a well-functioning system was an
> automatic middle-of-the-night Windows Update. Another symptom that
> I've experienced both times has been that when you log on to the
> computer it is in Windows Classic theme briefly before it automatically
> reverts to the XP theme. Very odd, I've never even tinkered with the
> theme settings. Same thing has happened now with both updates I
> referenced. I noticed that another user in a recent post had the theme
> issue after what I presume was KB903235 from the timing of it ("i need
> help with windows task bar and start menu," July 13, same group), but
> he didn't say he lost his Internet connection. Sounds like there's
> something wrong and it isn't just affecting me, but it sure doesn't
> seem to be widespread. Strange. I wish I knew what was causing it and
> where the conflict is. If it was as simple as replacing the NIC I'd
> gladly do it but I don't understand why a Windows Update would kill my
> NIC driver. I have a retail release of XP SP2, pretty standard stuff.
> There'd be a whole lot more posts in this thread if everyone with the
> same version had this problem. Thus, I'm guess it must be a pretty
> random bug. Right now it looks like I'll do another fresh install and
> turn Windows Update off when I get back online. I don't like it but I
> don't seem to have much choice, I don't feel like doing this a third
> time.

Don't use automatic updates. You don't know what is being installed.
Use the custom install from the WU or MU site and choose what you want.
Install them one at a time, work with the system for a day to see if
things or ok, then go on to the next one.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

nosuede@hotmail.com wrote:

> This is the second time it's happened. The first was with Windows
> update KB883939. Uninstalling the update fixes the problem, but
> renders the system unstable. Fresh install, pretty standard
> configuration. Windows updates are quickly becoming more trouble than
> they are worth.

The update worked fine for me, no problems.

Malke

Mikey wrote:

> nosuede@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> This is the second time it's happened. The first was with Windows
>> update KB883939. Uninstalling the update fixes the problem, but
>> renders the system unstable. Fresh install, pretty standard
>> configuration. Windows updates are quickly becoming more trouble
>> than they are worth.
>
> The update worked fine for me, no problems.

Since the update has apparently worked fine for quite a few people, do a
System Restore to before the update and when the system worked well.
Then test to make sure you have Internet access. If not, look for other
reasons such as malware, loose cables, power-supply the cable/dsl modem
and router if applicable, etc.

If you do have Internet access after the System Restore, then make a new
System Restore point before installing any updates and do them one at a
time, testing after each installation.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I hear ya and I appreciate the feedback, but all signs point to the OS.
DSL is working just fine. The system is doing funky things with
themes, it takes three times as long to boot and system restore to a
point before didn't fix those problems. In addition, this has happened
before on this box with another Windows update. I wiped the system
clean after that and started fresh and the same thing happened again.
Seems to me like something in my box isn't getting along with the OS.

I took the approach you suggested the last time this happened. I used
that technique to isolate the problem down to KB883939, but after a
couple system restores and attempts to uninstall updates, the system
became so unstable that it wouldn't even boot. This time I know the
problem was KB903235 because nothing else had been changed on the
system when I sat down to it the next morning. Funky stuff.

nosuede@hotmail.com wrote:

>This is the second time it's happened. The first was with Windows
>update KB883939. Uninstalling the update fixes the problem, but
>renders the system unstable. Fresh install, pretty standard
>configuration. Windows updates are quickly becoming more trouble than
>they are worth.

No problems here with these two updates.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

On this date, extended this wisdom for the consideration of
other readers...

[snip]
> I took the approach you suggested the last time this
> happened. I used that technique to isolate the problem
> down to KB883939, but after a couple system restores and
> attempts to uninstall updates, the system became so
> unstable that it wouldn't even boot. This time I know the
> problem was KB903235 because nothing else had been changed
> on the system when I sat down to it the next morning.
> Funky stuff.

I don't have this update on my XP Pro SP1 machine. What is it
suppose to do/fix?

I have my Auto Update set to "notify me but don't download and
install". I /never/ let M$ mess with my machine without my
knowledge. And, I /always/ look at each and every proposed
"fix" and check/uncheck accordingly. And, I do my own Restore
Point prior to allowing a potentially catastrophic change to
occur in the name of some possibly obscure hole in Windoze
somebody found a way to exploit.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote

> No problems here with these two updates.

Ditto here.

--
Bob

Malke

Opinicus wrote:

> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote
>
>> No problems here with these two updates.
>
> Ditto here.

We've had no problems, nor have any of my clients. Are you sure you
aren't also installing NIC drivers from Windows Update? It's always a
bad idea to install drivers from WU.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

automatic undate downloaded three updates on 7-13 and procedded to install
the updates The box came up for rebooting the computer, I turned the
computer off as it was late. Upon starting the computer on 7-14, the
computer will connect to my isp at 12.0 kbps. It barely will stay online.

Is there a cure for this?
WPG
"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote
>
>> No problems here with these two updates.
>
> Ditto here.
>
> --
> Bob

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

WPG wrote:

> automatic undate downloaded three updates on 7-13 and procedded to install
> the updates The box came up for rebooting the computer, I turned the
> computer off as it was late. Upon starting the computer on 7-14, the
> computer will connect to my isp at 12.0 kbps. It barely will stay online.
>
> Is there a cure for this?
> WPG
> "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote
>>

>>>No problems here with these two updates.
>>
>>Ditto here.
>>
>>--
>>Bob

Try removing the updates that were installed on 7/13 from Add/Remove
Programs. Next time don't use automatic updates. See my earlier post
in this thread about that issue.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User