converting a car stereo for the home

philroe

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
My 83yo mother-in-law is having trouble with the fancy stereo we bought her several years ago. Too many complicated dials and switches.

I thought a nice easy stereo system, much like a car stereo would wourk great for her. Slide in a CD and the CD player plays. Eject and the radio plays. Push a radio station button and the pre-programmed station plays. Unfortunately, there seems to be no desktop equivalent.

I would like to take a car stereo that meets my needs and built it into a case with speakers and powered by AC. I don't need much power, two reasonable sized speakers would be sufficient.

I'm told I need an AC to DC converter 12 volt but don't know much about the needed amperage. I can easily handle the case and minor electrical connections and don't want to burn down her house. Thoughts, recommendations, and caveats would be appreciated.

Thanks,
philr

davesophie

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
There are shelf systems that are as easy as a car stereo that will allow you to preset radio station and play a cd with the least operation possible.
how much are you willing to spend?

philroe

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Thank you very much. I looked at this item and the buttons on the unit don't correspond to station selection but the Remote seems simple enough.

Much appreciated. Have a great holiday!!