TIVO like? I want TIVO

agent86k9

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I am planning to build a computer to replace my entertainment system. I was reading in an earlier thread about Hauppauge and Pinnacle cards with TIVO functionality, and read some complaints about recording over time. Am I jumping the gun thinking I can get the same quality as direct TV TIVO reciever?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Recording over time? I don't know about that. I do know that Hauppauge's WinPVR 250 and 350 have hardware compression, which should make your video smooth even if you're multitasking.

As for quality, the Direct TV TIVO receiver only has to record at a very low resolution, because it's for TV!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I think i had this conversation with crash before
But i think an ati based all in wonder hdtv wonder or e-home wonder would suite you well and will be able to record at 3x better quality u can record at dvd quality
But you will need like storage space like 200gb
If your gonna record shows that is

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the TV Wonder Deluxe or Pro or whatever the full version is called, is a poorly priced option with no advantages over cheaper stuff. Check out the TV cards at <A HREF="http://www.softwareandstuff.com" target="_new">http://www.softwareandstuff.com</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

agent86k9

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Thanks for all the info. I also was wondering if I can recieve the signal directly off the dish or do I need something to decode before the video card?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn, I forgot about that. You can't do TiVO from the PC because you're using a dish.

You can get most of the features, but you'd have to use the dish receiver, you can't change channels on the PC, so you can't schedule programs and stuff. You could do a scheduled record but you'd have to leave the dish receiver on that channel and turned on.

scalar

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
All TV-in cards will normally accept off-air (antenna) signals, as well as traditional cable (non-digital) signals.

If you have digital cable or a satellite dish, the TV-in card can't do it alone due to the need to descramble/decode the signal.