Format and reinstall Windows XP

I have a hacker or something really bad wrong with my other computer. It
seems the only thing to do is to format the hard drive and reinstall XP. The
problem is that, although I bought the computer with Windows XP
pre-installed, I did not receive a disc. I have a disc for this computer,
but I would like to be able to update, and I understand that I won't be able
to update if I install the WinXP from this computer on the other one. I can
surf the net. but that's all I can do on the other computer. Any time I try
to download anything to try and fix the computer I can't open anything. Am I
going to have to buy a new XP Program? Is there a way to show somebody that
I own the XP that doesn't work, and get a disc to install it?
7 answers Last reply
More about format reinstall windows

    You could use the Magic Jellybean Key Finder from
    and use that to find the product key on your other computer.

    If the version of XP you have on the faulty machine is the same as your
    CD (eg if both are OEM XP Home or Pro or both are retail versions of
    XP) then you could use that key to install XP to the faulty computer.

    If the versions are different or they are proprietry (eg Dell, HP,
    Compaq) then you will need to purchase a new license or go back to the
    supplier and get the proper CD.

    Thank you , everybody. That's some good ideas and info. At least it won't
    happen again.

    watcherduck wrote:
    > I have a hacker or something really bad wrong with my other computer. It
    > seems the only thing to do is to format the hard drive and reinstall XP. The
    > problem is that, although I bought the computer with Windows XP
    > pre-installed, I did not receive a disc. I have a disc for this computer,
    > but I would like to be able to update, and I understand that I won't be able
    > to update if I install the WinXP from this computer on the other one. I can
    > surf the net. but that's all I can do on the other computer. Any time I try
    > to download anything to try and fix the computer I can't open anything. Am I
    > going to have to buy a new XP Program? Is there a way to show somebody that
    > I own the XP that doesn't work, and get a disc to install it?
    If your computer is under warranty or it's new the manufactoror should
    be able to provide a new disk or if the winXP files were installed on
    the computer,customer service should show you how to re install.

    "watcherduck" <watcherduck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a hacker or something really bad wrong with my other computer. It
    > seems the only thing to do is to format the hard drive and reinstall XP.
    > The
    > problem is that, although I bought the computer with Windows XP
    > pre-installed, I did not receive a disc. I have a disc for this computer,
    > but I would like to be able to update, and I understand that I won't be
    > able
    > to update if I install the WinXP from this computer on the other one. I
    > can
    > surf the net. but that's all I can do on the other computer. Any time I
    > try
    > to download anything to try and fix the computer I can't open anything.
    > Am I
    > going to have to buy a new XP Program? Is there a way to show somebody
    > that
    > I own the XP that doesn't work, and get a disc to install it?

    Have you tried running anti-virus and spyware programs to get rid of
    whatever problem(s) you have? Installed a firewall which should stop a
    hacker- and why do you think it is a hacker?
    If you didn't receive a disk talk to the unnamed makers- ask them how to
    reinstall- some makers store recovery items on your hard disk but they
    should have instructions for you. It may be in one of the booklets you got
    but haven't read.

    No matter what I try to do, I get an error message:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application cannot be found. I would like
    to run stinger, spybot, adaware and a host of other programs to clean it, but
    nothing at all will open. Formatting seems like the easiest thing to do,
    except for the fact I don't have the XP disc.

    watcherduck wrote:

    > I have a hacker or something really bad wrong with my other computer. It
    > seems the only thing to do is to format the hard drive and reinstall XP. The
    > problem is that, although I bought the computer with Windows XP
    > pre-installed, I did not receive a disc. I have a disc for this computer,
    > but I would like to be able to update, and I understand that I won't be able
    > to update if I install the WinXP from this computer on the other one. I can
    > surf the net. but that's all I can do on the other computer. Any time I try
    > to download anything to try and fix the computer I can't open anything. Am I
    > going to have to buy a new XP Program? Is there a way to show somebody that
    > I own the XP that doesn't work, and get a disc to install it?

    The computer manufacturer was required to provide you with some means of
    restoring the system. They have three choices:

    1. Windows installation CD
    2. Recovery CD (usually has an image of the drive as you received the
    computer)
    3. A hidden partition on the hard drive that has an image of the drive.

    Check the documentation for the computer or contact the vendor's tech
    support for how to restore the system.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "watcherduck" <watcherduck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a hacker or something really bad wrong with my other computer. It
    > seems the only thing to do is to format the hard drive and reinstall XP.
    > The
    > problem is that, although I bought the computer with Windows XP
    > pre-installed, I did not receive a disc. I have a disc for this computer,
    > but I would like to be able to update, and I understand that I won't be
    > able
    > to update if I install the WinXP from this computer on the other one. I
    > can
    > surf the net. but that's all I can do on the other computer. Any time I
    > try
    > to download anything to try and fix the computer I can't open anything.
    > Am I
    > going to have to buy a new XP Program? Is there a way to show somebody
    > that
    > I own the XP that doesn't work, and get a disc to install it?

    You can purchase a media kit (replacement CD and key) directly from MS
    (although morally you shouldn't have to, the OEM should've provided one). It
    should cost only a fraction of the price of the retail product, plus will
    have SP2 on it.

    grol

Windows XP Computers Format Product