Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install issues

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2012 12:29:07 AM

My son and I built our first home built computer and we seem to have all the h/w working correctly
i.e. BIOS reports correctly on all the specs - the MB, detects HDD, DVD Drive, Memory, etc

Installing windows 7 Pro 64-bit though has proven very challenging

The specs on the eqpt is
Asrock 880GM-LE-FX motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 processor
Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB)
WD Caviar Blue SATA 3 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA DVR drive

BIOS reports all correct and displays correct model numbers
SATA settings for HDD set to AHCI

The DVD drive works correctly as I was able to use the driver support CD that came with the MB and copy driver files to a USB flash drive
The LED display for the HDD does flicker on off to display activity

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit install displays the following sequence of errors

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, ........

Googling this error reveals a lot of solutions mostly stating that this indicates that the SATA controller driver needs to be installed.

I install this driver from the USB flash drive that I copied all the drivers to from the CD that shipped with the MB.

After that the next error I get is
No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media.

This is an endless loop. I even tried downloading the driver from the Asrock website and tried installing, but still continue to get the same error.

Any recommendation on what I should try next ?

Thanks, V

More about : windows install issues

a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2012 12:47:54 AM

U could try disconect / unplug the optical drive....

Installing OS from USB flashdisk and set it boot from USB / flashdisk in the BIOS.....

after the OS installed, reconnect / plug in the optical

and update it's driver..

edit: I'm ussually just copy any files (system and hidden) in the bootable windows installation disk to USB flashdisk.... there also apps from microsoft to let u create the bootable usb installation disk.. :bounce: 

oh yeah i'm forget something. when selecting boot from usb sometimes the name on bios not USB drive / flashdisk but the name of type / model of the drive / flashdisk... (kingston XXX or Toshiba XXX, etc)
m
l
September 17, 2012 11:01:13 PM

Hi Mr. vasuvius my name Is Kenneth and I'm on expert resolving software and hardware issues and there is nothing I cannot fix, I did experienced this unusual issue when I bought my last Asus Mobo and let me tell you my friend it took me 3 months to find out what was happening, I called the store where I bought this mother board also I called Asus customer service and nobody gave me a professional answer to this specific issue, I'm not the kind of guy that give up easily :non:  , now I usually don't help people but I want to help you and your son with this project of yours, now I'm not going to help everyone posting the answer in here so you can contact me to my e-mail claymore_69@hotmail.com
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 3:23:16 AM

OOT:

I don't know what your intention is miquele506, but don't post email address in the forum.. (Identity thief and spammer may lurking....)

U could use Private Message for this kind....

back to topic:

so how it's going...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 3:31:59 AM

Check BIOS and make sure that RAID mode is disabled on all active SATA ports. That can cause the errors you see.
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:08:30 AM

I was trying to help him, and this is the reason why I don't help people through forums it is a mistake, and if he wants to contact me I will help him otherwise I don't really care about posting the solution, and just to let you guys know this issue has nothing to do with the BIOS =D
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 7:35:13 AM

Well if u said helping via posting in forum is wrong doing, then it defeat the purpose of Tom's forum....

But okay, I don't argue about someone belief. but please refrain from posting email address in forum..

It was bad example and there a security risk in it...
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:44:52 AM

vasuvius said:
My son and I built our first home built computer and we seem to have all the h/w working correctly
i.e. BIOS reports correctly on all the specs - the MB, detects HDD, DVD Drive, Memory, etc

Installing windows 7 Pro 64-bit though has proven very challenging

The specs on the eqpt is
Asrock 880GM-LE-FX motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 processor
Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB)
WD Caviar Blue SATA 3 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA DVR drive

BIOS reports all correct and displays correct model numbers
SATA settings for HDD set to AHCI

The DVD drive works correctly as I was able to use the driver support CD that came with the MB and copy driver files to a USB flash drive
The LED display for the HDD does flicker on off to display activity

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit install displays the following sequence of errors

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, ........

Googling this error reveals a lot of solutions mostly stating that this indicates that the SATA controller driver needs to be installed.

I install this driver from the USB flash drive that I copied all the drivers to from the CD that shipped with the MB.

After that the next error I get is
No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media.

This is an endless loop. I even tried downloading the driver from the Asrock website and tried installing, but still continue to get the same error.

Any recommendation on what I should try next ?

Thanks, V

You can use USB flash drive for installing the Win 7 64 bit on your system. Make a bootable USB flash drive and plug in. Change the boot priority to USB flash drive and press ENTER to start booting from it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 1:46:00 PM

miquele506 said:
Hi Mr. vasuvius my name Is Kenneth and I'm on expert resolving software and hardware issues and there is nothing I cannot fix, I did experienced this unusual issue when I bought my last Asus Mobo and let me tell you my friend it took me 3 months to find out what was happening, I called the store where I bought this mother board also I called Asus customer service and nobody gave me a professional answer to this specific issue, I'm not the kind of guy that give up easily :non:  , now I usually don't help people but I want to help you and your son with this project of yours, now I'm not going to help everyone posting the answer in here so you can contact me to my e-mail claymore_69@hotmail.com

Interesting, your first post is to brag about being an "expert" that doesn't help people. Son, my experience is that people that have to brag about their abilities aren't anywhere near as good as they think they are. If only the fates would bring you into my shop for an interview. You wouldn't make it past question #3 and I guarantee that you wouldn't last 10 minutes in the lab. I suggest that you slink back into the shadows and let the adults handle this.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:13:35 AM

I checked that the SATA setting for HDD was not setup as RAID .. As I mentioned above it was AHCI
Tried the bootable USB flash drive option and everything else I've been able to find on this forum.
The only thing I didn't try was to disconnect the DVD drive while attempting to install with a bootable USB flash drive

By which point, I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 instead which installed in a few minutes without any errors whatsoever.
This way my home network continues to be Windows free as all the other machines are Macs. Beginning to like Ubuntu though and I even ended up installing it on Virtual Box on Lion on my MBP :-)

Thank you everyone for all the advice.
m
l
!