MN-700 for LAN not connected to internet?

I have an MN-700, a laptop running XP home, and an HP
iPAQ h5555 with wireless 802.11b in it running Windows
Mobile 2003.

I rarely, if ever, connect these machines to the
internet, and when I do it is via a 56K modem. All I want
is a private wireless LAN so the laptop can act as a file
server for an application on the iPAQ.

How do I configure the MN-700? Router mode? Bridge mode?
Do I have to tell the iPAQ what IP address to use for a
name server? If so, does it use DNS or WINS?

Right now, with firewall of the PC disabled and
encryption turned off on both computers, the PC sees that
some unknown device has connected; the iPAQ says it's
connected; but windows explorer (or whatever it's called
on the PocketPC) doesn't see my share.
2 answers Last reply
More about connected internet

    Dear Offline,

    I'm not a great expert, but since you are mainly
    interested in one network, you don't need router
    capabilities ( e.g., connection between at least two
    separate networks). An access point mode with no NAT and
    no DHCP server is fine for you. In that mode, YOU can
    assign IPs to both the laptop and the iPAQ. The TCP/IP
    and IPX/SPX protocols will work. As long as you do not
    use the router mode, you may also be able to use
    NetBEUI,b ut I'm not sure.

    In th event, here are the instruction for your iPAG H5555:

    Set up a wireless network

    1. Tap Start > Settings > Connections

    2. Tap Connections > Network Card > Wireless tab

    3. To change network settings, tap a network. If you do
    not see a desired network, tap Add new and follow the
    instructions on the screen.

    4. From Networks to access, select All Available, Only
    access points or Only computer-to-computer depending on
    the type of network(s) you connect to.

    5. To connect only to networks you have already
    configured, clear Automatically connect to non-preferred
    networks.

    more info at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx

    On the PC you'll have two connections: a dialup and a wired
    ethernet connection. Set the ethernet connection to obtain
    an IP from the server.

    Give a name to the MN700 and set the MN700 to bridge mode.
    Once you are in bridge mode you can only access it by name
    (and not IP). Disable the Internet connection on the MN700
    WAN screen, and set it to 802.11b (not g).

    You'll be using WINS not DNS. Make sure you are using the
    same Workgroup name on the PC and IPAQ, and no firewalls
    are running on the ethernet connection, including Windows
    ICF (leave a firewall or ICF on the dialup connection).

    To get the system running you do not need to have the MNBU
    running on the PC -- especially since it probably will keep
    complaining about a missing Internet connection.

    Once everything is working you can add WEP (make sure it's
    the same type and same key length).

Routers Ipaq Networking