MN-700 for LAN not connected to internet?

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 14, 2004 7:57:22 PM

I have an MN-700, a laptop running XP home, and an HP
iPAQ h5555 with wireless 802.11b in it running Windows
Mobile 2003.

I rarely, if ever, connect these machines to the
internet, and when I do it is via a 56K modem. All I want
is a private wireless LAN so the laptop can act as a file
server for an application on the iPAQ.

How do I configure the MN-700? Router mode? Bridge mode?
Do I have to tell the iPAQ what IP address to use for a
name server? If so, does it use DNS or WINS?

Right now, with firewall of the PC disabled and
encryption turned off on both computers, the PC sees that
some unknown device has connected; the iPAQ says it's
connected; but windows explorer (or whatever it's called
on the PocketPC) doesn't see my share.
July 14, 2004 10:50:40 PM

Dear Offline,

I'm not a great expert, but since you are mainly
interested in one network, you don't need router
capabilities ( e.g., connection between at least two
separate networks). An access point mode with no NAT and
no DHCP server is fine for you. In that mode, YOU can
assign IPs to both the laptop and the iPAQ. The TCP/IP
and IPX/SPX protocols will work. As long as you do not
use the router mode, you may also be able to use
NetBEUI,b ut I'm not sure.

In th event, here are the instruction for your iPAG H5555:

Set up a wireless network

1. Tap Start > Settings > Connections

2. Tap Connections > Network Card > Wireless tab

3. To change network settings, tap a network. If you do
not see a desired network, tap Add new and follow the
instructions on the screen.

4. From Networks to access, select All Available, Only
access points or Only computer-to-computer depending on
the type of network(s) you connect to.

5. To connect only to networks you have already
configured, clear Automatically connect to non-preferred
networks.

more info at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 7:28:20 AM

On the PC you'll have two connections: a dialup and a wired
ethernet connection. Set the ethernet connection to obtain
an IP from the server.

Give a name to the MN700 and set the MN700 to bridge mode.
Once you are in bridge mode you can only access it by name
(and not IP). Disable the Internet connection on the MN700
WAN screen, and set it to 802.11b (not g).

You'll be using WINS not DNS. Make sure you are using the
same Workgroup name on the PC and IPAQ, and no firewalls
are running on the ethernet connection, including Windows
ICF (leave a firewall or ICF on the dialup connection).

To get the system running you do not need to have the MNBU
running on the PC -- especially since it probably will keep
complaining about a missing Internet connection.

Once everything is working you can add WEP (make sure it's
the same type and same key length).