  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    From: x@y.zzz

    > ...at the 5-second setting it came with). Would experienced players find
    >that irritatingly slow?

    Yes indeed.

    >What would be the typical amount of time,

    2 or 3 seconds. Typically.

    Cheers,
    Tom
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:47:38 GMT, x@y.zzz wrote:

    >I'm just getting into mah jong, and, so far, I've only played
    >computer-program opponents while I learn. I've read that mah jong is
    >generally a fast-paced game. At the moment, the programs I have allow
    >about 2-4 seconds for me to decide whether or not I need the
    >just-discarded tile (in Four Winds MJ, for instance, I left the timer
    >at the 5-second setting it came with). Would experienced players find
    >that irritatingly slow? What would be the typical amount of time,
    >between the click of tile A hitting the table and the click of tile B,
    >that a player has in which to decide whether or not to claim tile A?

    Depends on the type of game. I have played Hong Kong mahjong against
    Chinese, where you hade less than a second for thinking. Yet, towards
    the end of the game, when tension grew, you could take more time. Esp.
    if one or two players are apparently going for a very expensive hand.
    In these cases, you might take up to 5 secs, or more, to check which
    tiles are safe.
    Other types of game, e.g. Chinese Official, require more calculating.
    Then 2 seconds for each turn - as an avarage - is not that bad. This
    will also be advised on the European Championship. Also here: towards
    the end of the game things will be different.
    On the Mahjong Masters Million (a world championship which was to be
    held in Australia, 1996, but actually never took place) a 'reasonable
    delay' of 2 seconds was mentioned before claiming a tile. The rules
    (see http://www.mahjongnews.com/mmmrule.htm) were also used on the
    Internet Mahjong Server, which by now is closed, 'because of childish
    behavior, abuse of administrative privileges and evidence of hacking
    of the user database')

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote:
    > The [MMM] rules
    > (see http://www.mahjongnews.com/mmmrule.htm) were also used on the
    > Internet Mahjong Server, which by now is closed, 'because of childish
    > behavior, abuse of administrative privileges and evidence of hacking
    > of the user database')

    IMS has been back online at http://mahjong.game-host.org/ since April.
    Greetz,
    Tom