Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help wth my Samsung T220

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
Share
December 11, 2008 3:27:45 PM

Hi,
I just bought Samsung T220 LCD monitor two days ago. My problem is the monitor always keep searching between "analog" and "digital" everytime when i turn on my pc.
I'd tried to install a new driver from samsung web site but, the problem's still appear. Does anyone facing the problem like me? How do you fix this problem.

thanks.

More about : wth samsung t220

December 18, 2008 6:48:02 PM

Mine has this problem and went for repairs 2 times. The last time supposedly they changed everything except the panel but today the problem returned and i'm on the verge of having a nervous breakdown. Everyone else stay away from these monitors
a b C Monitor
January 2, 2009 3:14:41 AM

What kind of video cards do you guys have?

Related resources
January 2, 2009 10:34:47 AM

8800 gt
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
January 23, 2009 11:33:59 PM

I have the same problem with analog/digital and then black screen...How long u wait after analog/digital to see ur desktop or what u do to see it ?
January 29, 2009 2:34:28 PM

What's going on is your monitor is searching it's inputs to determine where the signal is coming from.

This is because your 'Source Selection' is set to 'auto'.

To rectify this problem, go into your OSD (on Screen Display) while your PC is on, and select "manual' in 'Source Selection'.


And next time you have this problem... perhaps trying READING THE MANUAL.
February 11, 2009 9:18:39 AM

That doesent help either. There are tons of users with the exact same problem and there is no solution anywhere.
February 11, 2009 9:37:50 AM

What doesn't help??

The part where I give him explicit instructions?

or the part where I tell him to read the manual, which is where I found the solution?
February 11, 2009 10:19:33 AM

whatever i try to do the monitor switchez like crazy and nothing and no one exept a new monitor may salve the problem ,anyone who had to go for a new one had that problem ? what did they say at the store ?
June 24, 2009 8:38:31 PM

my moniter had the same problem, eventually it stopped switching and turned off, we just returned it and got a new one but they forgot the D"somthin' " cable for better display! They also forgot the driver CD too! Does anyone have a problem between ATI adeon X1300 adapters and emachines computers? it always gets glitchy and freezes and then the problem goes away with it saying "ATI recovery console" error window. I really need help! Other than that this display is just beautiful with the DMI cable (too bad I don't have one too!) :o  :bounce:  :o 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
August 20, 2009 11:17:02 AM

to the jerk with the read the manual comment: that doesn't fix the problem. it STILL will switch back and forth. I'm on my 2nd Samsung T220 and I'm so frustrated I'd like to just smash this thing in the garbage can. Not only do I get the problem with switching between analog in digital (when its set manually to be digital) I also get the random shutoffs where it just decides to turn off randomly during use. It's the worst when in mid-game online... I've almost punched it several times. Samsung makes some great quality screens, but boy did they mess this one up!
August 22, 2009 12:36:14 PM

I also have the same problem... any solutions so far?. It seems to be endemic to my VGA connection only since my other monitor is connected to the DVI port.
September 4, 2009 7:39:14 PM

Setting the thing to "Manual" doesn't helps, it somehow auto-switches to "Auto" and do the annoying mode flipping anytime the computer restarts.

Despite the great picture quality, it's a flawed monitor, the sensitive power button turns on/off randomly, and no technician is able to fix it - it's a design fault, google about and there's thousands of posts of people complaining about this.

Will throw this in the garbage can and buy something else, it's hopeless.
January 8, 2010 8:38:24 AM

Exactly the same problem.
It seems to happend only when the monitor is cold. Once it´s been working for a while it´s seems work´s better with that issue.
independently of that, it only happens when the most of the screen is black (i.e. when the system starts)

I´ve bought the monitor 9 months ago and y it was working fine 6 months aprox.
March 3, 2010 10:36:33 PM

I have exactly the same issue. Now - before someone tells me to read the manual - please note, I have it set to "manual", I have updated all the drivers, I have a new Gforce video card, and in all honesty, I cant think of any reason why the monitor still randomly switches between digital and analog. It doesn't matter how long the monitor has been on, it doesn't matter what time of day it is or what phase the moon is in, it just constantly switches!
May 6, 2010 4:11:11 AM

I bought two of these refurbed monitors on eBay. One worked for less than an hour and started doing what others have experienced here -- switching on/off and analog/digital. I took the other monitor out of the box and plugged it into the same cord and DVI-D cord and it has worked flawlessly for about five hours so far. On another tech website I visited, the response to this issue was to start taking it apart and performing major surgery. From my limited experience, I'd say this model monitor that starts the switching on its own is faulty. I am looking for something other than a Samsung for a replacement monitor. And I have the privilege of paying for return shipping of this pretty boat anchor.
May 9, 2010 9:31:56 PM

i have this monitor over a year now....at least i think so....when i turn off my pc it goes black and then analog once,and it goes digital once and "turns off" i mean it goes power saving....i dont think its some tehnical problem it just search if there is some other video source......it never shuts down during use and i have no problems with it...
and when i turn on my pc it works normal,doesnt search between analog and digital....
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
October 29, 2010 5:14:21 PM

#1. Not all Samsung T220s have this problem... but a significant amount do. Many people bought their T220 new and sent it in to Samsung when it started turning off for no reason, and Samsung would send it back to them with the same issue. Then they would send it again and Samsung would replace their monitor, selling their original as a "refurbished" model.

#2. It has nothing to do with the power button. When the monitor shuts off randomly you cannot turn it back on for about 5 seconds. If you turn off the monitor with the button, you can immediately turn it back on.

#3. This problem also exists in other types of Samsung monitors but I think it's most prevalent in the T220.

I have this issue with my refurbished T220 and I don't know what to do... I called Samsung and they gave me a phone # for service, but I don't think I have a warranty and I'm sure they'll expect me to pay for this... I might call Samsung again and demand it be fixed for free, if it can even be fixed :( 
April 2, 2011 9:42:10 PM

mine also has the same issue. its very frustrating it has a mind of its own when it switches. i got this monitor at a garage sale for 140 bucks it was a deal and i couldnt deny that. i unfortunately gave my LG to my mom and i wish i never did. i got a shitty monitor when i think the LG was even better.... but i switched anyway cause the ouside of the monitor looked cool..

anyway this monitor worked just great for about..... 9 months? just about. i even flew it on a plane trip from CA-NY three times in a suit case and after the third flight (which would be bumpy and could possibly damage the monitor) this problem didnt start till 20 days after the flight. so it seems to have came out of no where.

also if i have a webbrowers/desktop it sticks to analog pretty nicely. soon as i start wow or sc2 it switches to digital. after about 20 seconds it says "check cable signal" or whatever. i have to press the second from the bottom button to switch it back to analog. if i hold it down it will stay on analog but has the brightness meter stuck there. im also unable to even select *** in the menu of the monitor because the buttom i hold down is the selection button and the button just goes up instead of select. its retarded
April 2, 2011 9:54:22 PM

is there a way to like.. force the computer output to be analog? it only works in analog. im wondering if i have a 460gtx with a vga cord but a dvi adapter from the video card to the vga to the monitor does that mean the monitoer is getting confused cause of the vga-dvi adapter is messing it up?

this is based off of vga= analog and dvi= digital ?
May 3, 2012 6:58:34 PM

Hello i know this might be a dead thread but i'll post anyway ;) 
My T220 had the exact same problems as the ones stated here, at first i thought that the problem was ath the capacitors of the psu ,i've replaced them but the same problem continued so i ordered a replacement psu for 20 euros hoping that it was a psu problem.After i installed the new psu the monitor worked for 1-2 minutes and then it started the same sh....t
BUT when i disconnected the small ribbon that goes from the side buttons to the small board behind the touch power button the monitor came alive and it;s been working ever since.
Hope this Might help someone Nick Lagis
August 12, 2012 3:17:06 AM

NickLagis said:
Hello i know this might be a dead thread but i'll post anyway ;) 
My T220 had the exact same problems as the ones stated here, at first i thought that the problem was ath the capacitors of the psu ,i've replaced them but the same problem continued so i ordered a replacement psu for 20 euros hoping that it was a psu problem.After i installed the new psu the monitor worked for 1-2 minutes and then it started the same sh....t
BUT when i disconnected the small ribbon that goes from the side buttons to the small board behind the touch power button the monitor came alive and it;s been working ever since.
Hope this Might help someone Nick Lagis


Hey Nick, hope you see this soon. Can you describe the small ribbons you are talking about. What color? Approximately how big? Do they look like tape and are they transparent? Any more description would be much appreciated. Thanks!
September 22, 2012 10:46:12 AM

HelpDylan said:
Hey Nick, hope you see this soon. Can you describe the small ribbons you are talking about. What color? Approximately how big? Do they look like tape and are they transparent? Any more description would be much appreciated. Thanks!



"BUT when i disconnected the small ribbon that goes from the side buttons to the small board behind the touch power button the monitor came alive and it;s been working ever since. "


tried it 2 days ago and it actually fixed my samsung T190 which had the exact same problem.
In case someone has the same issue and see's this.There is a set of cables(ribbon) colored for me black/white
going from the bottom of the menu board to the small board of the power button.I unplugged them completely
from the side of the power button and tried it.It actually solved the problem 100% at least until now.
I hope this helps someone just like it helped me and sincerely thank you NICKLAGIS.
October 16, 2012 5:59:32 AM

is there a way to like.. force the computer output to be analog? it only works in analog. im wondering if i have a 460gtx with a vga cord but a dvi adapter from the video card to the vga to the monitor does that mean the monitoer is getting confused cause of the vga-dvi adapter is messing it up?




______________________________________________________________________________________

Tablet PC China
Tablet Android
October 19, 2012 4:58:59 PM

when I tried using the the dvi adapter it simply never found any signal at all.
So I don't thing that will work.
January 11, 2013 4:51:40 AM

This is absoutely a driver issue as I have 2 of these monitors, when i use my old 8800gts 512, both do digital no sweat, switch to my new gtx 550ti and neither will work on it. Also tried brining over my gts to a friends place who has a 550ti from another manuf. and when i swapped out for the gts, it worked in digital as well.
Did this on windows 7 AND windows 8

I still do not have a fix, unless you count downgrading to my previous card.
June 7, 2013 12:24:21 PM

Thank you NickLagis!
Did what you said and it worked!!!
November 10, 2013 2:46:05 AM

Download from Samsung site the MagicTune software. Then go to Options- MagicKey and put the "tick" inside the little box so you can Use the MagiKey. That fixed my problem cause as NickLagis said its a problem with the side buttons panel of the monitor and this solution does not requires to open the monitor and take off the ribbon.


May 5, 2014 10:59:51 PM

MariosN said:
Download from Samsung site the MagicTune software. Then go to Options- MagicKey and put the "tick" inside the little box so you can Use the MagiKey. That fixed my problem cause as NickLagis said its a problem with the side buttons panel of the monitor and this solution does not requires to open the monitor and take off the ribbon.




Hi mario i have done what you say, but the problem persist.... What is exactly magickey and how do you use it? THANKS!

For other people that opened their monitor is it hard to do it?
May 18, 2014 2:02:28 PM

nicococo said:
MariosN said:
Download from Samsung site the MagicTune software. Then go to Options- MagicKey and put the "tick" inside the little box so you can Use the MagiKey. That fixed my problem cause as NickLagis said its a problem with the side buttons panel of the monitor and this solution does not requires to open the monitor and take off the ribbon.




Hi mario i have done what you say, but the problem persist.... What is exactly magickey and how do you use it? THANKS!

For other people that opened their monitor is it hard to do it?


My T220 monitor had the same problem. It is definitely a hardware problem with the side panel buttons when they are plugged in.
To open your monitor do the following:
1- Pull the base out of the monitor. It will slide straight out toward the bottom.
2- Remove the two screws that was under the steel plate of the stand.
3- Using a dull kitchen knife pry the back cover off the screen.
4- Just below the side panel buttons you will see a small ribbon cable. The ribbon cable can be unplugged at the small circuit board that is under the white plastic. The ribbon cable won't unplug at the button end.
5- There is two plastic catches and a screw that hold the white piece down.
6- Pry the white plastic while releasing the catches and you will see the ribbon cable plugged in the board.
7- Pry each side of the connector to work it loose and your done.

May 20, 2014 8:57:57 PM

Larry Goulet said:
nicococo said:
MariosN said:
Download from Samsung site the MagicTune software. Then go to Options- MagicKey and put the "tick" inside the little box so you can Use the MagiKey. That fixed my problem cause as NickLagis said its a problem with the side buttons panel of the monitor and this solution does not requires to open the monitor and take off the ribbon.




Hi mario i have done what you say, but the problem persist.... What is exactly magickey and how do you use it? THANKS!

For other people that opened their monitor is it hard to do it?


My T220 monitor had the same problem. It is definitely a hardware problem with the side panel buttons when they are plugged in.
To open your monitor do the following:
1- Pull the base out of the monitor. It will slide straight out toward the bottom.
2- Remove the two screws that was under the steel plate of the stand.
3- Using a dull kitchen knife pry the back cover off the screen.
4- Just below the side panel buttons you will see a small ribbon cable. The ribbon cable can be unplugged at the small circuit board that is under the white plastic. The ribbon cable won't unplug at the button end.
5- There is two plastic catches and a screw that hold the white piece down.
6- Pry the white plastic while releasing the catches and you will see the ribbon cable plugged in the board.
7- Pry each side of the connector to work it loose and your done.



Hello Larry! I just did what you said, it was a bit hard to me (im a designer, i never did anything with hardware), but it TOTALLY WORKED! At least by now!
I cant say enought times thanks to you and the other guys that posted the solution!!
I've worked with this problem for 5 years, i did all my university stuff with this, and it was incredible how much i suffered when i was working for something for the next day and the monitor shutted off, i usually went and drink some tea, come back and it stayed on for like 30 mins and then again...

So thank you very much again, you made someone from a little country called Uruguay very happy!

PS: If someone have the same problem and need help just send me an email, im not a technician but maybe i can help you!
!