Laptop graphics - GeForce 9800M GTS vs GTX 260M ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Not sure if this is the right Category to ask... but anyone know what graphics system is faster/better? GeForce 9800M GTS vs GTX 260M?

Anyone know of a good mobile GPU chart for reference?

Lastly... anyone know of a good Gaming laptop with a powerful GPU for under $1600 or so? :)

Thanks much...

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I change my Asus G50 for the G51 because the Best Buy seller told me this is better than the other 9800M and if you see the 9800M is 512 and the 260M is 1GB and is better version.
also you can check on newegg.com and prices are higher on 260M
that what i found in my research because i got the same question

flamingspinach

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

According to nVidia's chart, the 9800M GTS is two generations older than the GTX 260M, and furthermore the 9800M GTS is in the "Performance" bracket whereas the GTX 260M is in the "Enthusiast" bracket, one higher. So going by this data the GTX 260M should definitely be faster/better.

That's correct in that the GTX260 is the better card. However, it is not due to the fact that it has more memory. That is one flawed theory that ill-informed tech people like to use. If I have a 1gb 9400 GT and a 512mb 9600 GT, the 9400 is not going to be better than the 9600 GT just solely on the fact that it has more memory. It has to do with shaders as well as your core and memory clocks.

burlycow

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
another comparison you might be interested in is the difference between the "GTX" 260m and the "GTS" 260m
Most buyers focus mainly on the number and not the specs between gtx and gts.
Short answer is you cannot go wrong with either card...but, the GTX version has more cuda cores 112vs 96
increased giga flops 462vs 396
but is lacking in raw memory clock speed(MHz) 1375 vs 2000 and memory interface width of 128bit vs 256bit
they both do dx 10.1 and open gl 2.1 with a maximum resolution of 2048x1536 digital and vga with exact same connector ports.

Basically the GTS is a factory overclocked gtx and wont make a bit of difference for most users, however you might take that into consideration when comparing laptop prices "bang for the buck".
Often times different manufactures use overlooked specs like similar video cards, smaller or slower hard drives, CPU's that may look better (i7q vs i5), but often have a slower clock speed even if they have more cores; in an effort to make their product more appealing for a lower price, even if certain parts have been downgraded to do so.

burlycow

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
yet there are still people interested in reading this thread(or make smart ass replies to an "out of date thread")?

Maverick4396

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I was only interested in so far as it listed 3-11-2010 as the date of the latest post when I was looking at it and thought it was a new thread. I couldn't understand why anyone would be asking this question now =P. You went digging for it (or something) and posted in a 6 month old thread. It's neat information and all, but the discussion is 6 months old and so is the tech it discusses. Now I grant you that Nvidia hasn't changed their chips in that long either and just keeps rebadging the same chips with slightly higher clock speeds so the information is still sort of relevant and I guess that it gave me something to do at work 9 minutes from quitting time.

burlycow

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Granted. I have searched for this type of information myself and this was the only thread that properly answered my questions. I was just hoping to add additional information I have found to help others with similar questions. Thanks for understanding I wasn't trying to discuss old tech, and was just demonstrating that the GTX version is old technology, but is still being used in new high end laptops. This topic just intrigued me is all.
Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.