Are XP rescue disc's need ed and why?

With xp home apparently the disc is a boot disc.
When do you need to use this boot disc.

And as far as rescue discs are concerned why and when would these be needed.

TIA
Geof
7 answers Last reply
More about rescue disc

    Thier are no"boot discs or rescue disks" in windows xp,a boot disk is
    obtainable
    thru microsoft but its a download.Youre rescue disks are all oem,not
    microsoft.

    "Geof" wrote:

    > With xp home apparently the disc is a boot disc.
    > When do you need to use this boot disc.
    >
    > And as far as rescue discs are concerned why and when would these be needed.
    >
    > TIA
    > Geof

    When you want to install, reinstall, use the repair console or do a
    repair installation.

    The rescue disks (I assume you mean the six floppy disk set) allow you
    to install XP on a computer that does not support booting via the
    CDROM, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > Thier are no"boot discs or rescue disks" in windows xp,a boot disk is
    > obtainable
    > thru microsoft but its a download.Youre rescue disks are all oem,not
    > microsoft.

    Another stupid, nonsensical post from Andrew the Eejit! The XP CD is
    bootable, therefore it's a boot disc, idiot!

    And who supplies the OEM with the software, moron?

    Yet another obnoxious post from the biggest troll and hypocrite ever seen.

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:44:16 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com>
    wrote:

    >Andrew E. wrote:
    >> Thier are no"boot discs or rescue disks" in windows xp,a boot disk is
    >> obtainable
    >> thru microsoft but its a download.Youre rescue disks are all oem,not
    >> microsoft.
    >
    >Another stupid, nonsensical post from Andrew the Eejit! The XP CD is
    >bootable, therefore it's a boot disc, idiot!

    Pot. Kettle. Black.

    Geof wrote:
    > With xp home apparently the disc is a boot disc.
    > When do you need to use this boot disc.
    >
    > And as far as rescue discs are concerned why and when would these be needed.
    >
    > TIA
    > Geof

    There's normally no need for an ERD (Emergency Rescue Disk) with
    WinXP. The WinXP installation CD is bootable, and provides access to
    the Recovery Console.

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314058

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Geof" <Geof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >With xp home apparently the disc is a boot disc.
    >When do you need to use this boot disc.

    The Windows XP CD provided the retail versions of Windows XP and with
    some repeat some new computers that have Windows XP preinstalled (OEM
    versions) is a bootable disk.

    You would use this disk to reinstall your Windows XP if the hard drive
    had to be replaced or was accidentally erased or became so badly
    corrupted that it could not be repaired.

    If its a retail version of Windows XP, and also with some repeat some
    of the OEM versions that come with new computers you can also use this
    disk to run the Windows XP Recovery Console or to a Repair Install of
    your Windows XP so as to recover from errors or problems.

    And also with the retail versions and with some OEM versions you can
    use the disk in an older computer to run the Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard to gather up the user data files and application
    configuration settings in preparation for transferring these to the
    new computer.

    >And as far as rescue discs are concerned why and when would these be needed.

    Rescue disks sounds like something specific provided by the computer
    manufacturer. The contents of these disks would be unique to that
    manufacturer. It should be listed on the disk labels or contained in
    the documentation provided with the disks.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP