Weird Mah Jongg game

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Hi all

This picture was sent to me to someone in The Netherlands:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg

My brother Jelte - the author of (the Dutch) Groot Mashjong Boek The
Great Mahjong Book) - once had the box and contents in his hands.
According to him, it looked like mahjong alright, but he had no idea
how it could be played.

Anyone a hint?

--

|Martin Rep
|The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
|Mahjong News:
|www.mahjongnews.com
|The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
|www.riichi.tk
|The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
|www.gouden-draak.nl
9 answers Last reply
More about weird jongg game
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote

    > This picture was sent to me to someone in The Netherlands:
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg
    >
    > My brother Jelte - the author of (the Dutch) Groot Mashjong Boek The Great
    > Mahjong Book) - once had the box and contents in his hands. According to
    > him, it looked like mahjong alright, but he had no idea how it could be
    > played.
    >
    > Anyone a hint?

    It looks to me like just a deck of MJ kards with racks, chips, and a
    "tablecloth."
    Tom
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    On 2004-10-31 02:29:13 +0200, "Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> said:

    > "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote
    >>
    >> This picture was sent to me to someone in The Netherlands:
    >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg
    >>
    >> My brother Jelte - the author of (the Dutch) Groot Mashjong Boek The
    >> Great Mahjong Book) - once had the box and contents in his hands.
    >> According to him, it looked like mahjong alright, but he had no idea
    >> how it could be played.
    >>
    >> Anyone a hint?
    >
    > It looks to me like just a deck of MJ kards with racks, chips, and a
    > "tablecloth."
    > Tom

    Hmmm... What are kards? Mahjong tiles made of carton? I don't think so,
    my brother would have recognized it right away. You don't think the
    figures on the 'cloth' have any function?
    Greetz
    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message news:<4183d086$0$65124$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
    > Hi all
    >
    > This picture was sent to me to someone in The Netherlands:
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg
    >
    > My brother Jelte - the author of (the Dutch) Groot Mashjong Boek The
    > Great Mahjong Book) - once had the box and contents in his hands.
    > According to him, it looked like mahjong alright, but he had no idea
    > how it could be played.
    >
    > Anyone a hint?

    From he picture alone it appears to be a Standard Mah Jong set
    (with cardboard tiles). Close inspection of the rule book cover shows
    that the tiles were arraged in the green border of the "cloth"
    (appears to be, in fact, a stiff board), with the circles on each side
    being where the player's wind chip is placed. I am going to assume
    that only one of the circles is red bordered (since two are hidden)
    and guess this was the original East's possition. And, the picture of
    the players on the box appear to be late 70's ~ early 80's, maybe even
    mid 80's.

    From these clues I would guess the rules of play would be . . .
    any of the thousands of versions. A more educated guess would be
    Chinese Classical (or close variation) since many marketed Mah Jong
    games contain rules that follow that system.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    >> It looks to me like just a deck of MJ kards with racks, chips, and a
    >> "tablecloth."
    >> Tom
    >
    >> "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote:
    > Hmmm... What are kards? Mahjong tiles made of carton?

    Paper or cardboard tiles, yes. As per FAQ 7i.

    > I don't think so, my brother would have recognized it right away.

    Perhaps he saw something different from the set pictured at
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg (this photo came from someone
    else, not Jelte). Look at the contents of the pictured box. The long gray
    things at the bottom of the photo are the edges of kards - no doubt about
    that. The yellow things at upper right are racks - no doubt about that.
    There is a pair of dice, and the four round things in the upper corner are
    probably wind indicators (one is colored blue - probably the dealer's). The
    last bits (upper left side) are probably chips of some sort.

    > You don't think the figures on the 'cloth' have any function?

    I have a cloth mah-jongg tablecloth. It merely has E, S, W, and N marked on
    the sides so players will know how to begin. Some people call mah-jongg a
    "board game" because they don't know what else to call a game played sitting
    at a table. Look again at the photo. The cloth (or we could also call it a
    "board") has round designs on it - and those designs have no significance
    (other than perhaps a place to put the wind indicators). There's also a wide
    green border. The photo doesn't show any squares or anything (it's a plain
    green border, not a path for pieces to move). Looking closely at the photo,
    you can see an illustration on the instruction manual (leaning on the box
    cover) - it shows the kards/tiles laid out along the green border - not in
    four straight walls, but in a crenellated wall that permits the kards to fit
    within a smaller area.

    It's mah-jongg, probably made lightweight for travel use on a small table.

    Greetz,
    Tom
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi

    On 2004-10-31 02:29:13 +0200, "Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> said:

    > "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote
    >>
    >> This picture was sent to me to someone in The Netherlands:
    >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mrep/mahjongspel.jpg
    >>
    >> My brother Jelte - the author of (the Dutch) Groot Mashjong Boek The
    >> Great Mahjong Book) - once had the box and contents in his hands.
    >> According to him, it looked like mahjong alright, but he had no idea
    >> how it could be played.
    >>
    >> Anyone a hint?
    >
    > It looks to me like just a deck of MJ kards with racks, chips, and a
    > "tablecloth."
    > Tom

    What a coincidence! Last Sunday, I visited a mahjong friend, and he
    showed me the very box I of the picture. And Tom - and Eric R. - is
    right: it's a mahjong set. Made of carton. The weird 'path' on the
    board is where you build the wall with the carton tiles.
    This friend is Adrie, not unknown to this group. I will ask him to give
    some more details about the set.
    Thanks for your input.

    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi all,

    And Martin never said a word when he studied the set.

    The trademark is Games International (Gi), copyright: Libra b.v., made
    by B.C.F. Borne (Holland).
    A slight description on the box is in three languages: Dutch, German
    and French. The manual is in Dutch only and contains 5½ pages of
    written instructions with tiles in the margins, one drawing of the an
    ongoing game and one page with the scoring.

    The board is 52 x 50 cm and can be folded in four. On the picture you
    can see that one edge is larger than the other looking at the spot
    where the windmarker should be placed: the margin between the markers
    place and the snake of the wall differs in space. Btw: there is no red
    cirkel around any of them, the set must be tampered with (boredom?:-)
    The wall, which is wriggling, has 74 squares where the cardboard tiles
    (3 x 4½ cm) are to be placed. That makes 148 tiles, so with flowers
    and 2 jokers. And yes, Tom was right, the stack is on the bottom-left
    hand in the picture.
    Windmarker East is blue, the other green. The bottoms however are all
    green (put them upside down, shuffle and pick your wind). They are use
    to determine who is what and for rememberance.
    The cirkle in the middle is the spot to pile the discarded tiles.
    The yellow things are the cardholders, made of that thinny hard
    plastic also used as molded packagematerial (the same as you see all
    is placed in the box.
    Then there is that bag of chips which are flat and round (diameter 1
    cm)

    The scoring table is quite simple. Just the 4-32 points for pungs and
    kongs, open and closed; points for winning (20), self drawn (2 ),last
    tile(10), only possible(2), only chows(10) and no chows(10); doubles
    for dragon(1), own wind(1), no honors(1), only pungs of
    2345678+dragon+wind(1), only 1+dragon+wind(2), only 9+dragon+wind(2) ,
    half flush (1), only only winds and dragons(3) ,full flush (3), own
    season (2), own flower (1), all seasons (total 4), all flowers (total
    2)

    Anything more?:-)

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 00:23:46 +0100, Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com>
    wrote:

    >What a coincidence! Last Sunday, I visited a mahjong friend, and he
    >showed me the very box I of the picture. And Tom - and Eric R. - is
    >right: it's a mahjong set. Made of carton. The weird 'path' on the
    >board is where you build the wall with the carton tiles.
    >This friend is Adrie, not unknown to this group. I will ask him to give
    >some more details about the set.
    >Thanks for your input.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    adrie.van.geffen@ipact.nl (Adrie van Geffen) wrote in message news:<4187d597.1602414@news.ipact.nl>...
    > The wall, which is wriggling, has 74 squares where the cardboard tiles
    > (3 x 4½ cm) are to be placed. That makes 148 tiles, so with flowers
    > and 2 jokers. And yes, Tom was right, the stack is on the bottom-left
    > hand in the picture.

    Something is not right here. The standard Chinese mahjong set
    consists of the following tiles:
    ( 9 "character" tiles
    + 9 "bamboo" tiles
    + 9 "circle" tiles
    + 4 "wind" tiles
    + 3 "honor" tiles ) * 4 tiles each
    = 136 tiles
    + 8 flowers
    = 144 tiles, which is usually arranged in 4 "walls" of 18 stacks of 2
    tiles.

    With 74 squares (assuming 2 tiles per square), it comes to 148
    cardboard tiles. Even with the "2 jokers" added, I only count 146
    tiles. There are still two tiles not accounted for.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    On 2004-11-02 20:14:09 +0100, adrie.van.geffen@ipact.nl (Adrie van
    Geffen) said:

    > And Martin never said a word when he studied the set.
    >
    > The trademark is Games International (Gi), copyright: Libra b.v., made
    > by B.C.F. Borne (Holland).
    > A slight description on the box is in three languages: Dutch, German
    > and French. The manual is in Dutch only and contains 5½ pages of
    > written instructions with tiles in the margins, one drawing of the an
    > ongoing game and one page with the scoring.

    Thanks, Adrie, for this contribution to mahjong science (^^)

    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi

    There are 2 spares which accounts for me making a mistake: there are 4
    jokers.

    On 3 Nov 2004 09:07:26 -0800, d_lau@my-deja.com (Dee) wrote:

    >With 74 squares (assuming 2 tiles per square), it comes to 148
    >cardboard tiles. Even with the "2 jokers" added, I only count 146
    >tiles. There are still two tiles not accounted for.

Games Video Games