Exhibition: Asian Games (and what they say about mahjongg)

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

FYI:

Exhibition: Asian Games: The Art of Contest
http://www.asiasociety.org/arts/asiangames/index.html

Direct link to what they say abaout mahjongg:
http://www.asiasociety.org/arts/asiangames/match01.html

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

My sites:
Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html
Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/index.html
Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/index.html
My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/index.html
Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Quoting the organisers:

>Sometime in the late eighteenth to early nineteenth century,
>a game called ma jiang was developed.

Unless a new, sensational find of which we would be totally unaware is
presented at the exhibition (whose catalogue I hope to get sometime),
this must be a careless mistake of the editor(s) (perhaps of the
website editors).

Even if we have recently come to the conclusion that 'majiang' was
certainly known in the early 1920's as a synonym of 'maqiao', there is
no evidence of its being known before 1900.

Thierry Depaulis