Opinions on LG GSA-4160B?

Itto_Ryu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Hey, I've spent a long time deciding on what DVD Burner I should get for my computer. I settled on the Lite-On SOHW-832S, but no stores in my area carry it... So after searching and searching, I decided to wait until Boxing Day and see what goes on special and go from there.

Two burners were on special yesterday. The BenQ DW1610-OC2, and the LG GSA-4160B. I decided on the LG even though the minimum requirements are a 700 mhz processor, and 512 mbs of RAM.

My specs are as follows:

- 533 mhz processor
- 160 mb RAM
- 80 GB HDD

But I was assured it would work, so I got it. Anyways, I apologize for being so monotonous and long winded, but I just want to know what you think of this burner. I got it for roughly 70 dollars after rebate, so what do you guys think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those "requirements" are rediculous, the drive shouldn't have any hardware requirements. Those sound like the requirements for a software DVD decoder program like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
But you have to admit, I don't think his 533mhz CPU is up to the task of DVD burning, video editing, and certainly not software DVD decoding (watching).

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not too certain, but since DVD burning is simply moving data from the hard drive to the DVD burner, I think it will work. As for video editing and all that, good luck!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Itto_Ryu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Hey.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I do not have internet at home.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

I have not yet tried my hand at DVD ripping/burning, but the drive does everything else OK.

Oh, another question. If the system requirements are for the packaged software (PowerDVD, Nero, InCD, etc;) are there any other programs that do the same thing as those programs, but take up less resources?

Although, like I said, everything I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm still a bit worried about ripping and burning DVDs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, the software: I'm not so certain you'll find DVD decoding software (for playing) that will allow your system to run smoothly. Nero SHOULD work with the slow CPU, I'd try DVD-Shink for ripping.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
If you don't at least up your RAM you'll have to shut down a whole bunch of programs running in the background when you go to video editing or it'll hang.

I was using DVD Shrink and Nero 6 Reloaded and it was at 303 of my 512MB DDR 266. I have an AMD 2400+XP and it was running @100%. Good luck. I'm going to try this on my Celery Slot 1 500 and see if it'll work.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>