stapletonj

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
I am going to have to admit I am stupid, lazy, and cheap about printers. Here's the story:

1. I need a small mono laser printer that gives decent looking output (600 dpi or better) Almost no images, mostly letters and stuff like that, biggest image might be a less than 1 square inch logo.

2. speed is not an issue, it can be slow

3. it needs to take the cheapest copy paper and print on it dependably

4. multiple input trays, etc are not ness., but an envelope feed would be nice (just a one at a time hand feeder would be adequate)

5. Here is the real rub of course, ink. I remember vaguely reading about HP and perhaps Canon putting chips in their cartridges that autmatically shut off the printers when the cartridge gets low and, since the chips are patented or whatever, they kill any chance of non OEM cartridges working since they don't have the chip. Of course I guess you could just refill and refill the orig cartridge, but.....of course here is the lazy part.

Obviously this is the make or break area. I've seen the output on the cheap Brother lasers from Officemax, etc., and it is acceptable (especially for $99)

Does anyone know about this issue and what kind of printer would they reccommend? And of course reccomendations for where to buy the refills on ink (I saw the links on the bottom of one of the pages, but don't have any real knowledge)

Many thanks in advance!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I like Okidata - they're reasonably cheap, they have good output quality, speed, and most importantly, you don't replace the whole print cartridge when you change toner - you just replace a toner reservoir. Every few reservoirs you replace the whole drum, but you can time that so that you use all the toner up first. Don't know if there's a 3rd party refill business, but because you only replace the toner, not the whole cartridge...

Brother I have no experience with, but they're darn cheap up front. Samsung I've used, and are OK, but I'm not sure about refills since I just installed at a client site and they handled refills.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung ML-1740 from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112022" target="_new"> here</A>, google cartridge for it (the lazy part) and it will set you for a long houl for very cheap.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...