strange shutdowns, outlook starting by self,calculator sta..

Lately I have had some strange happenings.

Outlook starts without prompt, calculator starts without prompt, start menu
pops up occasionaly and the task bar keeps disapearing even though lock is
enabled.
Even program files like moto gp and others have attempted to start. All
these things happen at ramdom without any prompting WTF?
I am using Winxp all up to date. Is this some sort of conflict or
could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
So what the hell could be causing this???

could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
So what the hell could be causing this???

Try an online scan at www.trendmicro.com or at Panda (can't remember the url).

Search Google for the following anti-spyware programs, download, install,
UPDATE, and run them:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
AdAware SE
SpyBot Search & Destroy

After you've done all that, if you still have a problem there's several ways
to go with troubleshooting this.

"Azzbel" wrote:

> Lately I have had some strange happenings.
>
> Outlook starts without prompt, calculator starts without prompt, start menu
> pops up occasionaly and the task bar keeps disapearing even though lock is
> enabled.
> Even program files like moto gp and others have attempted to start. All
> these things happen at ramdom without any prompting WTF?
> I am using Winxp all up to date. Is this some sort of conflict or
> could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
> and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
> So what the hell could be causing this???
>
> could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
> and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
> So what the hell could be causing this???

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Azzbel wrote:

> Lately I have had some strange happenings.
>
> Outlook starts without prompt, calculator starts without prompt, start menu
> pops up occasionaly and the task bar keeps disapearing even though lock is
> enabled.
> Even program files like moto gp and others have attempted to start. All
> these things happen at ramdom without any prompting WTF?
> I am using Winxp all up to date. Is this some sort of conflict or
> could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
> and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
> So what the hell could be causing this???
>
> could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
> and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
> So what the hell could be causing this???

Create a new user account. Does it happen in that new account?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:49:05 -0700, Azzbel

>Lately I have had some strange happenings.

Knee-jerk reaction: Suspect malware activity

>Outlook starts without prompt, calculator starts without prompt

Are these starting with Windows, or during a session?

If they start when Windows boots, then suspect active Magistr
infection, as Magistr infects arbitrary existing code files and adds
some of these to the startup axis, so they run when Windows boots up.

Else if they start while you're working, then I'd wonder about
keyboard hotkeys and stuck shift keys, and an un-muted mic with active
voice command software running.

>start menu pops up occasionaly and the task bar keeps disapearing
>even though lock is enabled.

>Even program files like moto gp and others have attempted to start. All
>these things happen at ramdom without any prompting WTF?

Sure is spooky. Does it stop when you are offline (disconnected from
the Internet and all other networks)? If so, you prolly have a RAT
(Remote Access Trojan) and someone somewhere in the world is jerking
your chain. Makes a nice change from having your identity stolen
and/or unexpected charges appearing on your credit cards, I guess.

>I am using Winxp all up to date. Is this some sort of conflict or
>could this be a virus or some sort of trojan? I have Pc cillin installed
>and up to date and has not found a thing. Fire wall is on.
>So what the hell could be causing this???

Active malware could easily clobber av and firewall; in fact, if
you've been unable to update the av lately, that's likely why.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

abin99

Hello Anonymous and all,

have the same on notebook with XP64.

Outlook and calculator starting unexpectedly, stange stand bys, change of keyb layout, unwanted caps-on and typed chars, even Avira stopped before having checked all files..

It seems that all this doesn't happen when not connected to the net, or connected with mobile acting as modem.

Had orrible impression that someone is controlling and joking with my machine !

Avira antivirus, spybot and Ad-ware on and updated, Hijackthis log used to fix or kill strange processes, no way to fix it !

Please provide some hints/solutions !

Thanks,

Andrea

pixiequeen87

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have no idea what is going on with my laptop. I seem to have the same kind of problem as everyone else. I have windows vista, Norton 360, Spybot search and destroy and COMODO Firewall Pro.

Outlook keeps on popping open (eventhough I don't use it) as does Calculator and The start menu opens occasionally. While using firefox - it also goes into full screen mode by it's self sometimes. I also seem to be getting a message that pops up in firefox about "carat" which is promting me to press F7. . . I have no idea what this is!!

I have run Norton 360 scans a few times as well as a Spybot Seach and Destroy scan, which found a tracking cookie but that was it. Also, to anyone with the same problems - I wouldn't recommend checking your online banking, I've had money taken out (which has since been sorted)

Any ideas on how to sort out the problem or what it is? I'm guessing a virus of some sort. Help please!

xxx

SpeedySloth

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Did this issue get solved. Was the last post the solution?
Have a client with the same issue.
Heading out there today. Will try this but just wondered. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS