installing SP2 on Win xp Home edition

scripttron75

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005

Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

Yea you should have no problem as i installed it yesterday aswell on my XP
home edition. ^^

"scripttron75" wrote:

> Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
> there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

Hi,

Yes you should. Standard warnings apply like any update, make sure critical
information has been backed up. Under most circumstances, there are no
problems installing the Service Pack. Most of the issues occur in systems
that are malware or spyware infested.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"scripttron75" <scripttron75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or
> are
> there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

scripttron75 wrote:

> Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
> there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

Yes it should be installed. If you plan on installing the recovery
console, install it before adding SP2.

Installing Service Packs
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Pre-Install, Install, Cleaning Up Afterwards

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

Free Technical Support for SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=18&y=6&c1=509&gprid=6794&

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In news:2823B910-78B6-4686-8034-DA6A822EA039@microsoft.com,
scripttron75 <scripttron75@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop?

Yes. In my view everyone should install it.

> is this fine

If by that question you are asking whether it's guaranteed that
it won't result in problems, nobody can guarantee that. There are
always risks. However only a small percentage of people have had
trouble with it, and in my experience almost of those have
installed it on spyware-infested machines.

Be sure you have no viruses or spyware on your system, and read
here first: http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45

> or are there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

"Necessary" is a very strong word, and if you take it literally,
the answer isn't so clear. But there are *many* fixes and
improvements in SP2, not just its highly-touted security
features, and I highly recommend it. See "List of fixes included
in Windows XP Service Pack 2" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

I've never had a problem with it on my own machines nor on any of
the others I support.

Please reply to the newsgroup