installing SP2 on Win xp Home edition

Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
there problems related and or is it even neccesary.
4 answers Last reply
More about installing home edition

    Yea you should have no problem as i installed it yesterday aswell on my XP
    home edition. ^^

    "scripttron75" wrote:

    > Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
    > there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

    Hi,

    Yes you should. Standard warnings apply like any update, make sure critical
    information has been backed up. Under most circumstances, there are no
    problems installing the Service Pack. Most of the issues occur in systems
    that are malware or spyware infested.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    scripttron75 wrote:

    > Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop? is this fine or are
    > there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

    Yes it should be installed. If you plan on installing the recovery
    console, install it before adding SP2.

    Installing Service Packs
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    Pre-Install, Install, Cleaning Up Afterwards

    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
    Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

    Free Technical Support for SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=18&y=6&c1=509&gprid=6794&

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In news:2823B910-78B6-4686-8034-DA6A822EA039@microsoft.com,
    scripttron75 <scripttron75@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Should I install SP2 on my XP home edition on my laptop?

    Yes. In my view everyone should install it.

    > is this fine

    If by that question you are asking whether it's guaranteed that
    it won't result in problems, nobody can guarantee that. There are
    always risks. However only a small percentage of people have had
    trouble with it, and in my experience almost of those have
    installed it on spyware-infested machines.

    Be sure you have no viruses or spyware on your system, and read
    here first: http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=45

    > or are there problems related and or is it even neccesary.

    "Necessary" is a very strong word, and if you take it literally,
    the answer isn't so clear. But there are *many* fixes and
    improvements in SP2, not just its highly-touted security
    features, and I highly recommend it. See "List of fixes included
    in Windows XP Service Pack 2" at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

    I've never had a problem with it on my own machines nor on any of
    the others I support.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP